Skydiving with a camera.

Felix0890

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it crazy? I'm planning on going skydiving soon and I'm wondering if taking my 450D with me would be crazy. I'm not worried about it falling or anything since I'll most likely have 50 straps and a roll of tape connecting it to me just to be safe. :lol: Oh and probably a ziplock bag to help protect it a bit.

What I'm worried is that it will get A) moisture - it's pretty humid down here and although I'll try to pick a day that's dry, there's still a chance of the weatherman being wrong. B) Dust - is there dust up there? If so, dust + a very fast moving object = higher chance of it getting in the lens. C) Air pressure - would it mess anything up in the internal elements of the camera and lens?

If I do take my camera up (and down) with me, I'll probably use my 50mm since it's easily replaced. So is it crazy to take my non-weather-sealed camera sky diving with me? Anyone done it before?

Please and Thanks
-Felix

lol how experienced are you... i'd prob be more worried about staying alive!

Experienced in skydiving? If I'm jumping off a plane at extreme altitudes, you can bet I know what I'm doing. ;)

People do it all the time. They are always securely mounted tho. Helmet cameras are the most common.

My first question would be if the skydiving company will even allow it. Have you checked into that? Aside from that, I don't know how interesting of shots you could get (but that's possibly just me). Personally, I'd rather just enjoy the experience rather than trying to compose shots and play with camera settings. I guess I don't have any advice on the matter, but those were my initial thoughts :)

Not sure on dust and whatnot, but maybe you could somehow mount a camera pouch to you chest that way when you get ready to land you can put it in there so its not loose and flying around getting banged up.

Just the first thing that came to mine.

good luck. should get some interesting pictures. we better see them when your done lol.

Yes the company I go skydiving with lets me have a camera with me. And about just enjoying the moment, I will with or without a camera. It won't be the first or last time I skydive. ;)

Yes the company I go skydiving with lets me have a camera with me. And about just enjoying the moment, I will with or without a camera. It won't be the first or last time I skydive. ;)
:thumbup:

I think it should work. I mean i know a dslr is different from a video camera but i mean i'm sure both are pretty sensitive and i've seen them filmed. Where do you go down here in miami?

Just be AWARE.

Some twenty-five years ago, not far from where I live, an extremely experienced skydiver who happened to also be an extremely experienced photographer decided to combine his two hobbies. He spent some six months preparing a rig that allowed him to use his chin (I think) to activate the shutter.

As near as could be determined afterwards, there was no mechanical failure at all. He apparently got so enthralled with the shots he was taking that he simply forgot to open the 'chute.

As near as could be determined afterwards, there was no mechanical failure at all. He apparently got so enthralled with the shots he was taking that he simply forgot to open the 'chute.

YIKES!!! Yes, please be careful but when you get back post those pics! :thumbup:

He apparently got so enthralled with the shots he was taking that he simply forgot to open the 'chute.

That is exactly what they told me to worry about. For that reason, I'll be diving with a partner that will make sure I don't zone out taking pics. :)

Did the film survive?

Note; I'm not being a funny guy, I just think it would be cool if if he died doing something he loved that his final shots lived for his loved ones to see.

He apparently got so enthralled with the shots he was taking that he simply forgot to open the 'chute.

That is exactly what they told me to worry about. For that reason, I'll be diving with a partner that will make sure I don't zone out taking pics. :)

Good move.

Most reactions

Back