Slide film.

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hear so much about it, like the details are more clear on slide than on negitive film, but I don't know too much about slide. Is this considered medium format? Would I need a certain camera to do it? How is it done?

Thanks!

Nope, it works the exact same as your regular film. You can get it in both 35mm, 120/220. The only difference is when you have it processed you will likely only have it mounted, and then you can look at each image individually and determin whether you want it printed or not.

The great thing is - what you shoot is what you get. Mind you, that can also be a bad thing if you 'miss'. Those shooting artwork will often shoot with slide film as the colour integrity is less dependent on who is working in the lab that day. Hopefully that all makes sense :)

(One thing that should be mentioned is generally the cost of printing may be x2 - x3 higher then that of negative film. But, you can choose those that you are happy with to be printed, so you will likely end up saving)

Oh! (too many edits?) If you are happy with shooting slide film - you might want to look into purchasing a slide projector. I believe Kodak, the last company to manufactur them, stopped doing so 3 or so years ago, but you could probably pick one up at a garage sale or ebay quite easily.

No, don't be intimidated, WW. :) Slide film is available in many formats; try 35mm first if that is what you're comfortable with. It's a positive transparency film - as opposed to a negative. I've noticed some people seem a bit put off by shooting slide film as it has gained a reputation for being more difficult to shoot, which I've always found a bit baffling.

Try a roll; use your meter and bracket a half stop either way while keeping an exposure log on each frame. When you get your slides back, review them against your log and you will have learned volumes - what the film can do, what your meter is telling you, etc. You will learn much faster doing this than by reading alone.

I like Fuji slide film - snatch up a roll of Velvia or Provia 100 and go blast the myths! ;) You can branch out from there, if you like your results.

Listen to Terri. She knows what she's talking about.

BTW, I just got back my first roll of Velvia today. :drool: Never had shot it before. I highly recommend it.

Oh boo. and I don't? ;)

No, listen to Terri - she is the most knowledgable person about film I know. (or at least have ever read)

Thanks guys! So...can my Canon shoot it?

Thanks guys! So...can my Canon shoot it?
Of course! Any 35mm slide film will drop right in there.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. :blushing: I can assure you there are plenty of knowledable film people on this forum, some with many more years of experience than me. I'm sure I just have the biggest mouth. :mrgreen:

I hope you go try it, WW! And post your results for us to see. :)

Yes, your canon can shoot it!

As for the projectors, I bought a brand new slide projector from Leica last year, so they are still being produced.

The dynamic range of slide film is usually less wide than that of negative film. So you have to watch your exposure more carefully.

As for Fuji Velvia (aka Disneycolor :p) you have to be careful not to lose too much detail in the dark part of the images. It is a high contrast and high saturation film.

Thanks guys! I can't figure out how to use my meter on my camera. I know how to do the exposuer comp and the DOF preview (Which I use to find the right aperture for my shot).

I'm going to go to the camera store tomorrow and pick up some slide & 120 film for the holga.

What's that film that comes in the square boxes. It's not Polaroid, but something else.. Anyone know what kind-of film I'm talking about? I see it all the time...

Oh, Peanuts (or anyone) what does it mean to have it "mounted" when processed? I'm looking forward to this!

I am sending out my first roll of slide film to be developed tomorrow (with A&I of Hollywood.) Im very excited because I think I managed to get some awesome waterfall photos! I did as Terri said, I logged each shots f/stop and speed including the brackets. Ive got my fingers crossed, and Ill be sure to let the folks here see any positive results that come from the roll :lol:

Oh, and by "Having them mounted" its meant that instead of getting prints and negatives back like you normally are used to, you get the Transparency (the equivelant of the negative) ONLY, and it comes enclosed in a cardboard or plastic square. This is so it can be used in the slide projector.

Brian

Oh and then from that I can get prints?

Oh and then from that I can get prints?

Yes, though I hear they can be a bit more expensive than negative prints......however, since you can choose which ones you want made into prints (as opposed to getting all prints from you negatives like you are used to) it is claimed it all evens out. I also hear the prints made from transparency (slide) film are not quite as good as negative prints, I would think it not THAT noticeable (though I have no experience in this, obviously).

Brian

Yes, though I hear they can be a bit more expensive than negative prints......however, since you can choose which ones you want made into prints (as opposed to getting all prints from you negatives like you are used to) it is claimed it all evens out. I also hear the prints made from transparency (slide) film are not quite as good as negative prints, I would think it not THAT noticeable (though I have no experience in this, obviously).

Brian

Yes and no. Your average lab will scan the slide and print on a lightjet. Results are very good. Then there's Ciba/Ilfochrome, which puts the rest of the color world to shame.

Most reactions

Back