Slideshow Music for a Redneck Wedding

Hate to mention it, but stealing someone's music, even if it is for his best friend AND he is not getting paid for doing the wedding, it is still stealing.

I wish I could find that article again, but from what I remember, in the USA, there is not just one fee to pay, but two. One goes to the record company that holds rights to that song, and there is another fee, but for the life me I cannot recall who just now. In the end, though, you are NOT looking at a very cheap solution if you want to be 100% legal.

I would just use music that is available in the creative commons area and be done with it.

Back to the point, how about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YUuyzQDmjY ??

You did say he was 38 and she 21 right? :)

That's pretty good. I didn't know about all that copyright stuff just for songs. They (the songs) are from CDs that I have bought. Does that not give me the right to use them in the slideshows?

I think this thread has gone way out of proportion. It's not commerical. Just a little redneck wedding and I was looking for songs. I ended up going with mostly love song. Even though the wedding was "redneck" I didn't see it fit to use rock and roll songs. Also, I did get paid for the wedding as well as doing this slideshow. Sorry I didn't include all the information in my post. I hope that has cleared some things up.

Thanks for the music help though

~Michael~

I didn't know about all that copyright stuff just for songs. They (the songs) are from CDs that I have bought. Does that not give me the right to use them in the slideshows?

Unfortunately no. It gives you the right to listen to them, not to put them on a product that you are using in a commercial sense (you are putting it on a DVD of a wedding to a client).

Hey, you could play the odds and win, but it's if you play the odds and lose that it gets very painful financially for you.

I hear about companys like Sony and other prominent ones making some nice coin from people like this. "Ignorance is no excuse" is the judge's favorite saying during these kinds of trials.

This is an international forum. If you want the BEST advice for your area, visit a local lawyer and if you want to use a particular piece of commercial music, I would suggest you pass on spinning the wheel of chance, and pay what is required.

If you have a small budget, "Creative Commons" music is your best (read cheapest and most legal) bet.

If it helps any, my personal music collection spans well over 75,000 songs (CDs and records I have bought over the years, ALL coverted to MP3 and FLAC), and there are times I could make INCREDIBLE slideshows with music that I paid for... but I know I legally cannot, and therefore, will not. Photographers always ***** when clients want something for nothing... but very often forget about the rights of the musicans and music companys who worked their hinies off to give us that music at reasonable costs... we may buy the CD, just like someone may buy your pictures... it STILL doesn't make that song yours to do what you want to do with anymore than your pictures become your client's just becuase you gave them the CD or DVD of your work.

You *do* know that the pictures remain your property unless you write it down on paper that you are giving away ALL your rights to the pictures, don't you? ;)

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what if he used music from his CD collection, made the slideshow and uploaded it to youtube for all to see.

If there was no financial gain, would that still constitute an infraction?

Besides, if a songwriter says "no you can't use it" then I doubt there's anything you can do to change their mind.
Did you not bother reading my reply? They can't say no -- it's the law. The whole point of statutory licensing is that the "little guy" use and remix culture without having to be able to afford a $400-an-hour lawyer.

Hate to mention it, but stealing someone's music, even if it is for his best friend AND he is not getting paid for doing the wedding, it is still stealing.
No, it's not stealing. "Larceny" and "Copyright Infringement" are defined completely differently in law.

That's pretty good. I didn't know about all that copyright stuff just for songs. They (the songs) are from CDs that I have bought. Does that not give me the right to use them in the slideshows?
Unfortunately, because the law is broken, it doesn't. However, I have very little regard for copyright law in its current state as it reflects not the public needs for which it was originally crafted, but the desires of large media conglomerates and their wallets.

Just out of curiosity, what if he used music from his CD collection, made the slideshow and uploaded it to youtube for all to see.
If found, he'd probably receive a DMCA takedown notice, Youtube would remove it and that'd be the end of it.

If there was no financial gain, would that still constitute an infraction?
Yes, but only because big media runs the country in terms of copyright law.

Did you not bother reading my reply? They can't say no -- it's the law. The whole point of statutory licensing is that the "little guy" use and remix culture without having to be able to afford a $400-an-hour lawyer.

Yes, I read your reply. My point is that you'd spend forever fighting the appeals of songwriters because they don't want you touching their work.

Statutory Licensing also may involve royalties. Are you gonna pay out royalties just to use music from the radio? A professional photographer has enough costs to worry about besides paying out monies for music.

Most statutory licensing involves webcasting anyways, not DVD slideshows for wedding clients.

Yes, I read your reply. My point is that you'd spend forever fighting the appeals of songwriters because they don't want you touching their work.

Statutory Licensing also may involve royalties. Are you gonna pay out royalties just to use music from the radio? A professional photographer has enough costs to worry about besides paying out monies for music.

Most statutory licensing involves webcasting anyways, not DVD slideshows for wedding clients.
Which is exactly why the law is broken. We have years of culture that are locked up in legal chains that can only be unlocked by the right people with big pocket books. This is not what the creators of copyright had in mind when they founded it.

Woah. Wow guys. I guess I won't be making slideshows anymore. I can understand it more putting it into picture terms. The artist (like me) will put his music out (my pictures) and we can buy CDs and music from them (like people buying my pictures) but that doesn't mean I own anything.

I have only done two like this. I will stop it definately or just buy rights. Whatever it takes. I really enjoy putting the slideshows together but it is definately is not worth all the legal troubles.

Thanks for all the information though. I appreciate it

~Michael~

ifly, don't worry about it. Just put some royalty free music in there and you're all good.

You could probably also spend short money asking a lawyer for some advice on this. I'm pretty sure there are some reasonable use clauses that allow people to use songs and other materials on a limited basis.

Don't let people freak you out, but certainly make sure you understand the laws before you do something.

Not like Lynyyyrrrrddd Skyyynnyyyrd is gonna come after you with a fleet of lawyers for giving a couple a wedding slideshow with their song on it. :)

I have only done two like this. I will stop it definately or just buy rights. Whatever it takes. I really enjoy putting the slideshows together but it is definately is not worth all the legal troubles.
The key question is: what are you doing with these slideshows? Just keeping them for fun? Giving them to the couple? Publishing them on YouTube?

<<<<< Is about as close to redneck as you can get, without the rebel flag on my car but is tattooed on my body somewhere lol.

How about David Allen Coe-"if that aint country" not rock but every redneck loves that one

Another great song from DAC is "would you lay with me" a nice country love song

I doubt you would ever get any flack over the copyright of your slideshow music lol.
cant believe anyone would even care!!
sounds like some folks need to see about growing a pair HA!

Surely you can find a royalty-free recording of Dueling Banjos somewhere.

Failing that, maybe the producers of Hee Haw would let you use the "Where, oh where are you tonight" song cheaply.

<<<<< Is about as close to redneck as you can get, without the rebel flag on my car but is tattooed on my body somewhere lol.

How about David Allen Coe-"if that aint country" not rock but every redneck loves that one

Another great song from DAC is "would you lay with me" a nice country love song

I doubt you would ever get any flack over the copyright of your slideshow music lol.
cant believe anyone would even care!!
sounds like some folks need to see about growing a pair HA!

Then I guess you wouldn't care if people started stealing your photos and reposting them as their own or making money from them right?

Most reactions

Back