Slot Canyons

Well, way to many here to properly C&C, you have some nice shots here but I see more than a few that might benefit from getting lower, looks like most if not all were shot standing up and several of them look like the camera is angled down. Maybe try getting lower to the ground, sitting or kneeling perhaps.

Just a thought.

Well, way to many here to properly C&C, you have some nice shots here but I see more than a few that might benefit from getting lower, looks like most if not all were shot standing up and several of them look like the camera is angled down. Maybe try getting lower to the ground, sitting or kneeling perhaps.

Just a thought.
Thanks, I have noticed that myself and in some recent hiking I did get down on the ground.

Just a thought.
Thanks, I have noticed that myself and in some recent hiking I did get down on the ground.

Well be sure to take that for what it's worth.. I've only managed to shoot one landscape so far and a damn elk got in the way.. so maybe not the most bonafide expert on the subject here.. lol

Seriously, gorgeous shots. I want to be there right now! I think the Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon shots are some of my favorites of these sets, but it's so hard finding favorites here (because there are too many favorites)! :586:

Left Fork North Creek, also known as The Subway in Zion National Park, Utah. These pictures are from the technical section of the canyon, above the point where hikers have to turn around.

Left Fork North Creek by Daniel Larson, on Flickr

This last shot is looking down from the last repel point and the pools below can be hiked to from the bottom.

The "Subway in Zion" shots were my favorite, probably because of the range of colors. Enjoyed all the sets, and it looks like you had very tricky lighting to deal with in a number of cases. Do you go on these shoots alone? And do you worry about flash floods?

Left Fork North Creek, also known as The Subway in Zion National Park, Utah. These pictures are from the technical section of the canyon, above the point where hikers have to turn around.

This last shot is looking down from the last repel point and the pools below can be hiked to from the bottom.

The "Subway in Zion" shots were my favorite, probably because of the range of colors. Enjoyed all the sets, and it looks like you had very tricky lighting to deal with in a number of cases. Do you go on these shoots alone? And do you worry about flash floods?

Thanks! I also enjoyed the variety of colors in the Subway, and especially like the green water. Yes the lighting is very tough, there is a huge dynamic range from the shadows to the highest lights. I try hard to avoid direct light in my shooting in slots because those will be blown out. I use mirrorless cameras and rely heavily on the live view to expose close for the highlights. Then in processing I try to recover as much of the details as possible. In the Subway I was with a group of 4. There were some repels and some swimming, both of which I am not good at, so I would only have done this in a group. Some easy canyons I do by myself, some other easy canyons I take my wife and kids with me. I only ever go into a slot canyon when the forecast is sunny and 0% chance of rain, even then I keep a somewhat nervous eye on the sky as I am driving and hiking towards the slot.

These are awesome ! I'd love to wander around that place.

Most reactions

Back