SLR additions!

Noowww... im beggining to understand.
*click, the cogs in Artemis' mind moves hehe*
Thanks mate, wish i could help you out now :p.
Well now i cant wat to get my camera and buy lenses and get some filters.
Thanks again mate i really appreciate it.
Arty

That looks like a sweet camera. The earlier post about keeping it simple and learning the basics is sound advice. You might go out and buy a bunch of stuff then later learn that either you didn't need it at all or you wish you had bought a different brand/model, etc.. Guess I'm a bit of an anachronism. I believe in starting with old school basics, like manual transmission in a car and manual exposure in a camera. If you learn to drive on a standard and one day need to drive an automatic, no problem. If you learn on an auto and one day need to drive a standard it is a challenge to say the least.

Photography is may not be quite that extreme, but there is a parallel. Starting with a manual allows you the opportunity to learn about light and exposure and the tricks you can play with light as well as lighting situations that can trick automatic exposure cameras and how to correct for them. I still cling to my old SRT 101 and 102. They do have internal metering which is nice, but even if the meter batteries die, I don't have to miss a lick. I know the exposures for different film speeds in various lighting. In fact, if you understand exposure values, you only need to know one setting for one speed in one specific light condition, you can extrapolate any other setting from there.

OK, I'll shut up and go back into my cave now to try to get a fire started by rubbing sticks together. Sorry, I'm new here and get carried away sometimes.

Enjoy the new toy.
Regards,
Raymond

for a start rey.
We all get carried away, and frankly, please do get carried away.
One of the many great things about this site, which i have learnd, is no one judges yah mate.
Im a newbie to, and everyone here is so nice to me, this is my fav site.
I mean i had an avarage of 20 posts per day, ive never ever had that on a forum.
This is my favoiret forum of all time :)

So get carried away :)

Artemis,
Don't get me wrong; I'm all for new toys. More power to you for starting out with a really good one. Since you do seem to be new to SLR, though, my idea was just to take the time to learn the fundamentals. It really makes the whole photographic experience a richer learning opportunity. If you don't, you may never miss it. If you do, you will understand what I mean.

I think of it like kayaking or canoeing quietly down a scenic river versus zooming down it in a high-powered speedboat. Both methods get you to the destination, one much faster and easier than the other. But which is more sensually rich? The one where the only sensation is the wind blasting your face or the one that gives you time and peace to feel the vessel rocking in the gentle current, see the wading birds stalking in the reeds or the turtles or (in my neck of the woods) baby alligators sunning on a log undisturbed as you silently drift by, hear the splash or swirl of a fish feeding nearby?
Cheers,
Raymond

Ohh damnit, now u made me wanna go canouoing, hope your happY! LO.
Actually that would be grreat with a water proff camera.
Anyways, i see what u mean, and id like the second one, with the slow boat :), so im gonna take ur advice, thanks mate.
Arty

Most reactions

New Topics

Back