SLR for trip?

novicephotolady25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the market for a good camara for my trip to Italy in a few months. I have a fuji point and shoot that I will be bringing for the bars/clubs at night, but want something better for during the day. I've primarily used Nikon's D60 when I worked as an assistant wedding photographer with my ex, but was hoping for something some-what less bulky. I have been looking at the Fujifilm s2000 and the Nikon coolpix, but I am open to any and all suggestions! I don't even know WHERE to begin or what to look for.

Last edited:
Well, you're not going to find a dSLR much smaller than the D60, but bridge cameras come in smaller sizes. The closest you can get to a dSLR (as far as I know) without going to a much smaller sensor is probably the Panasonic G1. They are able to make it smaller by using a 4:3 sensor and eliminating the mirror. It has live view and an electronic viewfinder. Some 4:3 (four-thirds) dSLRs might be a little bit smaller than the D60 too, and the lenses are definitely smaller. Based on my experience, I'd also recommend something like the Panasonic FZ8 or FZ28 (I have an FZ7). These are bridge cameras that have a smaller sensor like on most point and shoot cameras but have a bigger zoom lens and some of the more advanced features found on dSLRs. These Panasonics (not the FZ7) have a wide-angle super zoom lens. Other bridge cameras that seem to get good reviews include the Canon G10, G9 and S5IS; Kodak Z1012IS, Z812IS and Z1015IS (this last one has wide-angle lens while the first two Kodaks aren't too wide); nikon P6000 and P80 (I have a customer at CVS who gets some amazing shots with her P80); and the Sony DSC-H50. If you're willing to go a bit smaller and forego the superzoom, I'd consider something like the Panasonic LX3 or the Nikon P50 (wideangle) or P60. I'd check out a nice review site like http://www.dpreview.com/ for reviews and discussion of these and other cameras.

Don't waste your precious Italian memories on a P&S camera. Get the Nikon D60 DSLR you mentioned and be happy. Less noise, enterchangable lenses, and it is small too. I would suggest you buy the Nikon 50mm F1.8 too, as it is under $100 and the fast aperture is a must for flash-forbidden places like museums, and besides what kills a bar/restuarant mood worse then a flash, so you really need a fast aperture for that too. You're on here I assume because you are passionate about pictures, so for gods sake get the DSLR, fast prime, external flash to and do your memories some justice.

Have a great time!!

Save the P&S for snapshooters, amatuers, those that are not passionate about pictures, and no I am not an elitist. :)

If going for one fixed focal length lens to be used on a trip, I'd try for a 28mm or 35mm rather than the 50mm, unless you do mostly portraits and shots of distant objects.

If you think a d60 is bulky, you probably shouldn't get an SLR.. it's as tiny as you get as far as DSLRs are concerned.

Assuming you're not willing to accept the size of an SLR, I would recommend a Canon G10. The image quality is near SLR-like (and definitely not a waste of time, f/2.8 lens and useable manual controls help), but it's small enough to fit into a (large) pocket.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G10/G10A.HTM

Last edited:
Here is my take that is revalent to Italy. I have been to Rome probably 5 times in the last year. All for work, but I do get a day or two here and there for personal time. Anyway, the camera I was taking was a Nikon Coolpix 8700. I like the prosumer digital just due to its size and capabilities. Anyway first trip I did not take a seperate flash. Visited St Peters, and tried to take pictures. No way. Too dark. At least for the quality I wanted. So, next trip I brought along a SB-80DX. A pretty strong flash. I still had issues with pictures without cranking up the ISO. And of course then comes the noise. Had the same problem at the Pantheon as well. All of the big open interior buildings are pretty dim on the inside. And when the ceilings are over 60' - 100' tall. I just don't think a P&S is cut out for it. Of course I wanted pics of the fresco's in the ceiling and coupola's.

So, I just ordered a D40x for travels now. I am hoping its bigger sensor (over p&s) and decent lens will give a little more low light ability over the 8700. I specificaly bought it 1 becuase it was cheap, and 2, it's really small. I don't want to take a system bag with me or a larger DSLR just do to the fact I have way too much to carry as it is (work stuff, clothes, computer). So I am going to give the D40x a try. See how that works out. I think I am going to try an all in one lens (always stayed away due to aperature size). But taking just one is my goal. Of course that may put me right back in the same spot as above with needing high iso for large internal pictures.

Here is my take that is revalent to Italy. I have been to Rome probably 5 times in the last year. All for work, but I do get a day or two here and there for personal time. Anyway, the camera I was taking was a Nikon Coolpix 8700. I like the prosumer digital just due to its size and capabilities. Anyway first trip I did not take a seperate flash. Visited St Peters, and tried to take pictures. No way. Too dark. At least for the quality I wanted. So, next trip I brought along a SB-80DX. A pretty strong flash. I still had issues with pictures without cranking up the ISO. And of course then comes the noise. Had the same problem at the Pantheon as well. All of the big open interior buildings are pretty dim on the inside. And when the ceilings are over 60' - 100' tall. I just don't think a P&S is cut out for it. Of course I wanted pics of the fresco's in the ceiling and coupola's.

So, I just ordered a D40x for travels now. I am hoping its bigger sensor (over p&s) and decent lens will give a little more low light ability over the 8700. I specificaly bought it 1 becuase it was cheap, and 2, it's really small. I don't want to take a system bag with me or a larger DSLR just do to the fact I have way too much to carry as it is (work stuff, clothes, computer). So I am going to give the D40x a try. See how that works out. I think I am going to try an all in one lens (always stayed away due to aperature size). But taking just one is my goal. Of course that may put me right back in the same spot as above with needing high iso for large internal pictures.

If you want to take just one and only one small lens then the worse you can take is a zoom with a too wide focal range, and a too slow aperture.

Take this one and you can shoot nearly 100% of the comps found in and around Rome: 28mm prime, or 24mm prime. This combo will mean you'll not have to crank up the ISO when shooting inside cathedrals and museums which often forbid flash.

wow thank you so much for all of your replies! After reading the posts here I think I am going to throw the concern about the bulkiness out the window and just buy a great camara that I know will give me the pictures I desire! I have been to the store a few times and really like the D60, I just like the way it feels and the way it responds, it seems to work well for me.

Now to think about lenses...LOL. I KNOW I don't want to be carting a lot of lenses around Italy. Any suggestions on 1 or 2 really good lenses? A friend was trying to talk me into a fisheye lense for the cathedrals and such, and I've used one before for weddings, but seeing as you can't even take your camara in the church's and sme other places, (that's when I plan on using my P&S, lol) is it even worth buying? Thanks again!

An Olympus E410 with the 14-45mm & 40-150mm will fit in a large purse with ease and provide much better results than a point and shoot. It has a friendly user interface and a great system for organizing and retrieving photos. I picked one up brand new for $350 a while back because it was found in the back of a warehouse and put on clearance. You can find the newest version, the E420 for about $500 new. It is a great travel camera! Olympus also makes a great little 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens that goes for peanuts.

If you get the d60, keep in mind that the lenses you buy will have to have built in focus motors since the camera body doesn't have one.

wow thank you so much for all of your replies! After reading the posts here I think I am going to throw the concern about the bulkiness out the window and just buy a great camara that I know will give me the pictures I desire! I have been to the store a few times and really like the D60, I just like the way it feels and the way it responds, it seems to work well for me.

Now to think about lenses...LOL. I KNOW I don't want to be carting a lot of lenses around Italy. Any suggestions on 1 or 2 really good lenses? A friend was trying to talk me into a fisheye lense for the cathedrals and such, and I've used one before for weddings, but seeing as you can't even take your camara in the church's and sme other places, (that's when I plan on using my P&S, lol) is it even worth buying? Thanks again!
I'd take a look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 if you want just one lens. It is kind of short on the focal range but that 17mm is nice for fitting everything into the picture and you can almost always walk forward a little to get closer. The Tamron 28-75 would work better if you do mostly portraits or shooting things far away. Otherwise, you could go with a fixed lens like (as already mentioned) a 28 or 35mm lens. Keep in mind you will need to get the lens with built in motor if you want AF to work on the D60. The Tamron models will say on the box if they have the built-in motor (I'm looking at mine now):wink:.

Edit: Just reread your post and saw you'd consider carrying 2 lenses, in which case I'd recommend the Nikon 55-200VR for a nice telephoto lens to complement the 17-50. You could alternatively get just one lens like the 18-200VR; the VR would help in low-light situations as long as you don't need to freeze action.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back