SLR purchase advice - D90 or D5000

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a dSLR and have narrowed it down to two models by Nikon, either a D90 or a D5000. I take mostly landscape type shots but really like night photography and can see me getting into it. I haven't really tried portrait photography, but would like to once I can find a willing victim, um, I mean subject.

PROS:

• D5000 - Articulating display, smaller camera, more user friendly menu, a couple of hundred less
  • D90 - Larger 920K pixel LCD display, DOF preview, more controls on body, better camera overall, in-body image stabilization
CONS:

• D5000 - Only a 230K pixel display, no image stabilization,
  • D90 - Pricier, menu not as user friendly (so I'm told), larger, heavier, no articulating display
I'm sure I've missed things, but that's what I've got so far. What really concerns me is the low res display on the D5000, since I would be using live view a lot. But do you think I'm being overly concerned about this? I also don't know what to make of no in-body image stabilization, is that really a big deal? And the last thing I need is a camera with an overly complicated menu. Is the D90 that much different from the D5000? Oh, and I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that both cameras would produce about the same quality of photos in low light conditions.

This will be my first dSLR and I have to admit I'm more than a little intimidated. My biggest concern is that I might not use it as often due to size and learning curve. Anyway, if you don't mind offering your advice on this, it would be great to hear what others think.

Lastly, I live in a large city with lots of crime. I like to take photos downtown. Do any of you dSLR owners ever get concerned about carrying an expensive camera everywhere? I'm a bit worried about getting mugged, to be honest.

I do not think any of the Nikon DSLR cameras has in-body stabilization. It is on the lens with VR.

I'd get the D90 but that's just me. I had a D60 and it felt like a toy. The D5000 will feel about the same. The D90 feels like a sturdier, more solid piece of equipment.

Of course they all feel like toys to me with a gripped D300. :lol:

I'm looking to buy a dSLR and have narrowed it down to two models by Nikon, either a D90 or a D5000. I take mostly landscape type shots but really like night photography and can see me getting into it. I haven't really tried portrait photography, but would like to once I can find a willing victim, um, I mean subject.

PROS:

• D5000 - Articulating display, smaller camera, more user friendly menu, a couple of hundred less
  • D90 - Larger 920K pixel LCD display, DOF preview, more controls on body, better camera overall, in-body image stabilization
CONS:

• D5000 - Only a 230K pixel display, no image stabilization,
  • D90 - Pricier, menu not as user friendly (so I'm told), larger, heavier, no articulating display
I'm sure I've missed things, but that's what I've got so far. What really concerns me is the low res display on the D5000, since I would be using live view a lot. But do you think I'm being overly concerned about this? I also don't know what to make of no in-body image stabilization, is that really a big deal? And the last thing I need is a camera with an overly complicated menu. Is the D90 that much different from the D5000? Oh, and I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that both cameras would produce about the same quality of photos in low light conditions.

This will be my first dSLR and I have to admit I'm more than a little intimidated. My biggest concern is that I might not use it as often due to size and learning curve. Anyway, if you don't mind offering your advice on this, it would be great to hear what others think.

Lastly, I live in a large city with lots of crime. I like to take photos downtown. Do any of you dSLR owners ever get concerned about carrying an expensive camera everywhere? I'm a bit worried about getting mugged, to be honest.

d90 has a much more user friendly menu.
d5000 menu is garbage.

don't use liveview.

no i don't worry about carrying an a big expensive camera because i carry a bigger more expensive gun on my hip.

if you're considering both... why wouldn't you get the better camera?
i own both and i can honestly say the D5000 is a joke next to the D90.

i purchased the D5000 to see if it would be a better 2nd body than my D50. it's not. the D50 is way better.

If you are worried about getting mugged, do what paparazzi shooters do. They keep pepper spray in their hand while they shoot in case someone tries to grab their gear.

Canon T1i :thumbup:

He has a good point. If you feel like the D5000 or the D90 are too valuable and you might get mugged, then go ahead and buy Canon. Then no one will steal it. :lol:

I bought the D90 and absolutely love it! I dont use the live view much as the focusing is pretty slow while on live view, but the HD video it takes is spectacular. The images come out great, and also nice and big. It is a nice, sturdy body that fills your hand nicely. I absolutley love it and would get nothing lesser. If you can afford both, go with the D90 over the D5000. The live view is, however, good for composing shots where the camera is held overhead or really close to the ground, when your eye cant reach the viewfinder. The menu on it is very nice and easy to maneuver. Id say go with the D90 100%.

Mark

If you'll use the extra features of the D90, get it.

If not, don't.

Really as simple as that. Both cameras will have comparable image quality, how you get that image is in your hands whether you have a D5000 in them or a D90. :)

I'm a proud owner of a D90 and never looked back (and I'm picky gadget geek).

No Nikon camera has in body image stabilization. Where did you get your info?

The LCD is a good reference tool, but not sure it should be a deciding factor for your purchase decision.

From what I hear the D90 is simply a better camera. Its a bit bulkier, but if you are doing lanscape photos, you will have your filters, your tripod and other gear that you are lugging around that will make the weight difference negligable.

I live in a big city and use my camera all the time. I have a bag and its in the bag when I'm just walking. There are areas I wouldn't go to during the night, so I simply avoid them or go with a few other people. iPods and iPhones seem more popular to steal than cameras.

I settled for an entry level camera when I bought mine last year (XSI vs 40D) and I regret that choice.

Here's the difference between the 5000 and the 90 (as I see it): In body focus motor on the D90. This gives you a much larger selection of AF lenses. The D5000 (being the upgrade from the D40/x) only auto focuses with AF-I or S lenses. The 90 with AF with anything with AF in the description.

The other one being commander mode... D90 can control off camera flash like the SB600 out of the box, D5000 cannot.

Most reactions

Back