SLR purchase advice - D90 or D5000

My fault too.

D90 already won hands down though I think. So this thread has served its purpose. Might as well use it for something.

I'm looking to buy a dSLR and have narrowed it down to two models by Nikon, either a D90 or a D5000. I take mostly landscape type shots but really like night photography and can see me getting into it. I haven't really tried portrait photography, but would like to once I can find a willing victim, um, I mean subject.

PROS:

• D5000 - Articulating display, smaller camera, more user friendly menu, a couple of hundred less
  • D90 - Larger 920K pixel LCD display, DOF preview, more controls on body, better camera overall, in-body image stabilization
CONS:

• D5000 - Only a 230K pixel display, no image stabilization,
  • D90 - Pricier, menu not as user friendly (so I'm told), larger, heavier, no articulating display
I'm sure I've missed things, but that's what I've got so far. What really concerns me is the low res display on the D5000, since I would be using live view a lot. But do you think I'm being overly concerned about this? I also don't know what to make of no in-body image stabilization, is that really a big deal? And the last thing I need is a camera with an overly complicated menu. Is the D90 that much different from the D5000? Oh, and I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that both cameras would produce about the same quality of photos in low light conditions.

This will be my first dSLR and I have to admit I'm more than a little intimidated. My biggest concern is that I might not use it as often due to size and learning curve. Anyway, if you don't mind offering your advice on this, it would be great to hear what others think.

Lastly, I live in a large city with lots of crime. I like to take photos downtown. Do any of you dSLR owners ever get concerned about carrying an expensive camera everywhere? I'm a bit worried about getting mugged, to be honest.
The d90 beats the d5000 in every aspect. The d90 is very user friendly. Press the question mark button when you're on any setting and it will explain exactly what that particular setting does. Don't take the camera where you don't feel safe but me personally i can for the most part protect myself and i'm always keeping an eye out for someone sketchy but idk if most people are like me. GL

612058705_Ekajo-O.jpg
Just wondering why you posted this picture?

Deleted post. I was just testing a link in the first thread I came to. I only used "preview post," though. :scratch: Sorry :blushing:

Deleted post. I was just testing a link in the first thread I came to. I only used "preview post," though. :scratch: Sorry :blushing:
no problem. and there is a thing like thread i guess at the bottom of the forum homepage where you can like test w.e. you want i believe.

I know it's been said many times but if it's within your budget, get the D90... Even if you think it has more features than you need, as you learn and advance your skills, you'll find yourself using these "extra" features - and you'll be very glad you got it. I'm kicking myself for getting a D60 when I should have bought a D90 or a D300.

Most reactions

Back