Small home studio set-up advice

FlourishPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie looking to create my first home studio to photograph babies and young children. I have a spare bedroom 7.5ft wide x 14ft long x 8.5ft ceilings, that I plan to paint all white, that has one big window with blackout curtains. I know this room is too small, but I figure I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work I'll take over the living room ;)
I'm hoping someone can give an opinion on the gear I picked out:
  • Nikon D800
  • Portrait lens (any suggestions?)
  • AlienBees B800 White Studio Flash + Large Softbox + Impact Air-cushioned Heavy Stand 9.5'
  • LumoPro LP160 Manual Flash + Impact Air-cushioned Light Stand 8' + Umbrella (I like that I can take this flash along on field trips)
  • Square Perfect SP2000 Backdrop Background Support
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Personally, I'd paint it flat black. White walls make it hard to control the light.

And photography is all about light.

I'd even add heavy black cotton velour curtains on 3 of the walls to avoid any kind of reflection, one wall painted white for background, several fabric backgrounds and many toys/teddies for the kids you intend to take pics of...
about studio flashes, personally I worked with 3-4 and lastolite reflectors

My home studio walls are painted 18% grey had paint mixed at home depot specially for it. I did alot of research and alot of posts I came across suggested that at the time as your camera reads 18% grey was their reasoning. I also used the I-beam system hanging from the ceiling to hang my backdrops on cost me about $125 Cdn can get them at any fabric store screwed them right into the ceiling joyces (not sure if a spelt that right) they are surprisingly sturdy. Used curtain holders to hold back the 6 backdrops I have when they arent in use. I use a 3 mono light set up with 2 extra speed-lights when I need more light. 2 soft-boxes and 4 umbrellas (2 white and 2 silver) plus 5 in one reflector when needed and remote triggers for all lights. Hope this helps u!

www.sandraadamson.com www.sandraadamson.blogspot.com

I just watched the Kirk Voclain dvd set and I wish I watched it before I spent time on my portrait studio!! If you can get your hands on it, its worth watching.

he has a smalish studio as well, I think its 14' wide by 10' tall by im not sure hwo long it is, but long enough to get a full body shot with a 70-200mm lens on a full frame sensor.

He has the wall the clients face painted white, with 4 strobes on the ceiling blocked off from the clients point of view and uses this as a fill light for the entire scene. then he has a couple tracks on the ceiling for his strobes so he doesnt have to worry about stands. I love this idea!! Then for backgrounds he has them on rollers, on sliders you pull across and on a rod/hook for easy to change drops.

My studio is about 12' and I find its not wide enough with strobes and soft boxes, I would love to get more room to spread out. You may have a hard time having a person lay on their side in a 7.5" room and have lights there as well.

Ive been buying the elinchrom flashes, their not that expensive compared to some and offer lots of power/light. :) I think the next thing on my list is a 4x6 softbox. I really shouldnt have watched that voclain dvd, its making me want to spend money on that and a few more drops. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back