Settings schmettings

Susan Barbier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need help with my camera settings for a studio photo shoot of a group of small objects placed on a 24 x36” white background. I am using a Nikon D3400 with the stock lens from my old D60 (18-55mm). My goal is for the objects to be as clear and crisp as possible because I want it printed as a 24 x 36” poster. I’m using 2 LED studio lights from Savage that I’m borrowing. I’ll be photographing from above as the objects are on the floor. My questions are: Do I use a low or high ISO? What about Aperture and shutter speed? Should I shoot it in Manual or Aperture mode? Any suggestions or advice is very much appreciated!
Thanks guys - SB

Low ISO (less noise)
Middle aperture (f.8, f/11)
Shutter speed shouldn't be relevant if you're using a quality tripod.

Hello and welcome, there are lots of videos on youtube that could help you......

Low ISO (less noise)
Middle aperture (f.8, f/11)
Shutter speed shouldn't be relevant if you're using a quality tripod.
Just the kind of answer I was hoping for. Thanks!

A few thoughts to add:

1) A good tripod will hold the camera steady, but be mindful of the floor. Carpets and wooden floors can move around a bit as you move around so what you might think is a really stable setup can wobble a little. Whilst something like a hard stone floor won't be moving at all. This is more an issue for macro, but could be an issue for you if the shutter speeds get slow enough, not knowing how strong the LED lights are (they vary a lot) its hard to guess what your shutterspeeds might be.

2) Be careful about ambient light, ergo the light from the room itself. A window nearby could cast powerful light onto one area of the photo, so try and control the light as much as you can; because you've got a static camera (on tripod) and a static subject there's no motion to freeze so the shutter speed can do what it wants pretty much.

3) Aperture priority mode would likely work well, set the aperture, pick a low ISO and then the shutter speed can be whatever it wants to be. Manual can be easier at times because the scene should be pretty similar shot to shot so if you want you can get some practice in balancing the exposure. Remember in either aperture or manual mode you might find that the best shot isn't nessessarily when the needle is in the middle - a little exposure compensation or adjusting the shutterspeed faster/slower for a little over or under exposure might be what you need at times for a good shot. Esp if the subject is very bright (white) or dark in colour.

I agree with the good advice that you've already gotten here.

But I would add..play and practice. Set up things as you want and take some pictures. Then look over them and decide what you liked or didn't like about them. Make changes and see what effects those changes made. I feel that making mistakes sticks with you longer than reading about how to do something. Take a bunch of shots with different aperture settings and see what your pictures look like, you can always look at the properties and see what your camera was set to.

I need help with my camera settings for a studio photo shoot of a group of small objects placed on a 24 x36” white background. I am using a Nikon D3400 with the stock lens from my old D60 (18-55mm). My goal is for the objects to be as clear and crisp as possible because I want it printed as a 24 x 36” poster. I’m using 2 LED studio lights from Savage that I’m borrowing. I’ll be photographing from above as the objects are on the floor. My questions are: Do I use a low or high ISO? What about Aperture and shutter speed? Should I shoot it in Manual or Aperture mode? Any suggestions or advice is very much appreciated!
Thanks guys - SB
Are you planning to hold the camera, or do you have a tripod available? Whichever; you're probably going to have framing issues such as; where are your feet (or tripod feet)? I would not plan on just holding the camera with outstretched arms and trying to frame the shot by "feel". Hand holding the camera without using any flash can be a real problem.

If you can borrow a tripod, mount your camera to the tripod, and use a cable shutter release or use the self-timer to fire the shot so you're not touching the camera or tripod when the exposure is made.

Figuring out where to position the lights is another issue. If you direct the light straight downward from above, the lighting will be "flat", so position the lights lower to enhance the image.

Also; when you get your photograph, post it on here so we can see how you did, and possibly offer further suggestions.

Good luck.

A few thoughts to add:

1) A good tripod will hold the camera steady, but be mindful of the floor. Carpets and wooden floors can move around a bit as you move around so what you might think is a really stable setup can wobble a little. Whilst something like a hard stone floor won't be moving at all. This is more an issue for macro, but could be an issue for you if the shutter speeds get slow enough, not knowing how strong the LED lights are (they vary a lot) its hard to guess what your shutterspeeds might be.

2) Be careful about ambient light, ergo the light from the room itself. A window nearby could cast powerful light onto one area of the photo, so try and control the light as much as you can; because you've got a static camera (on tripod) and a static subject there's no motion to freeze so the shutter speed can do what it wants pretty much.

3) Aperture priority mode would likely work well, set the aperture, pick a low ISO and then the shutter speed can be whatever it wants to be. Manual can be easier at times because the scene should be pretty similar shot to shot so if you want you can get some practice in balancing the exposure. Remember in either aperture or manual mode you might find that the best shot isn't nessessarily when the needle is in the middle - a little exposure compensation or adjusting the shutterspeed faster/slower for a little over or under exposure might be what you need at times for a good shot. Esp if the subject is very bright (white) or dark in colour.
A few thoughts to add:

A few thoughts to add:

Great info, thanks.
A few thoughts to add:

thats
A few thoughts to add:

s very helpful! Thanks!
A few thoughts to add:

Super helpful, really appreciate your explanations! Can’t wait to try it out!

Thanks guys - SB
Are you planning to hold the camera, or do you have a tripod available? Whichever; you're probably going to have framing issues such as; where are your feet (or tripod feet)? I would not plan on just holding the camera with outstretched arms and trying to frame the shot by "feel". Hand holding the camera without using any flash can be a real problem.

If you can borrow a tripod, mount your camera to the tripod, and use a cable shutter release or use the self-timer to fire the shot so you're not touching the camera or tripod when the exposure is made.

Figuring out where to position the lights is another issue. If you direct the light straight downward from above, the lighting will be "flat", so position the lights lower to enhance the image.

Also; when you get your photograph, post it on here so we can see how you did, and possibly offer further suggestions.

Good luck.
Good point about the tripod and shutter release. I’ll rig up something safe to fix the camera to and try the self timer and will consider a remote trigger. I guess it’s all about trial and error! I’ll post my image once I have one that’s descent enough. Thanks to you and everyone for the help!

Most reactions

Back