SMALLEST BALL HEAD (Mini compact) WITH LEVER QUICK RELEASE

Tina Love

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi... I just bought this Monopod (Forta FM500) and really like it so much.

It is light weight yet very sturdy.
The Ball head is very small with quick release lever and hold very tight even with big lens.
I could put the camera in & out instantly with just one hand.

(By the way, I have posted this on other photography forum but the responses could not match similar exact size..... so I apologize in advance if somehow some of you may have seen & belong to that forum.... )

I like the Ball head super small size, the build and the practicality so much, that I want to buy it and put it on all of my Tripod/Monopod.

Unfortunately, the seller does not sell only the Ball head nor being helpful as to where can I buy it.

I've tried searching it online with no success.
I've seen there's a big brand name that has similar size but the price is more expensive than the whole Monopod itself ( out of my budget )

Would highly appreciate if any of you could point me to any seller that sell it.
Does not need to be the exact brand....other brand is ok too.
Similar small size with lever release ( I don't like the screw type... time consuming).

*** Thank you very much in advance for your time & input ****

Here's the link: MONOPOD - FORTA FM500

Amazon.com : Forta FM500 57" Inch Heavy Duty Professional Monopod with Ball Head, Quick Release, and Soft Case for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus DSLR : Camera & Photo

Please don't post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

View attachment 121930

Smallest Ballhead-2.jpg
Smallest Ballhead-3.jpg 3Smallest Ballhead-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I would be very cautious of putting my dslr on a $40 ball head. I understand wanting as small as you can but the ballhead has to be able to support your camera and lens. Again, on this I would and have cautioned on the side of a bigger ballhead than my camer and lens weigh.

That Sunpak doesn't indicate what it can handle. This Manfrotto ballhead says it's nearly 9 lbs., yes it is twice as much but how much is more peace of mind worth? (Or replacing a camera and lens because of it falling.)

When you use a unipod or a monopod, you never have your hands off the camera anyways so it isn't going to fall to the ground.

Tina, simple solution. Take the head off the monopod. Ball heads on a monopod are pretty much useless. The monopod is for stability. Stability on a monopod means having the camera/lens centered over the monopod. If you tilt the bullhead to one side to orientate the camera into portrait mode from landscape mode you have now thrown all the weight off to one side. Stability now goes out the window because you are having to stabilize the camera and the monopod.

Put a quick release plate on the monopod if you like but leave the ball head off. Problem you will have with that particular setup is you will either have to go to an Arca Swiss type quick release plate system and use an L bracket or get a camera rotation device. Both are more costly than your whole monopod. If you want to make tilting the camera up and down easier then you could use something like this.

Also I would be hesitant to tilt that head sideways with much in the way of gear on it. According to makers website the head only supports 6.6 pounds. They also say 6 kilograms, however 6 kil0s = 15 pounds and I do not believe that that head will support 15 pounds. Keep in mind when you say big lens that has a lot of connotations. My 400 f2.8 and with body attached goes approximately 10 pounds. Far to heavy for that little head.

When it comes to stability build trumps size and to get a really good, stable build it will not be as small as what you are looking for.

To be honest with you I would suggest saving some more and getting something that will last for a while instead of something cheap that could break or worse break your equipment.

I use a Manfrotto 496rc2 compact head which can be had from B&H now for $89.

I hate to see someone spend their money on something that in the end they will not be satisfied with. I say that because I've done it myself before and in the end spent twice as much or more to fix a impulse buy thinking I need this now. Grab yourself a decent monopod and use the camera on it for a while until you can afford a decent ball head that can take care of you now and in the future.

Murph

Personally I would be very cautious of putting my dslr on a $40 ball head. I understand wanting as small as you can but the ballhead has to be able to support your camera and lens. Again, on this I would and have cautioned on the side of a bigger ballhead than my camer and lens weigh.

That Sunpak doesn't indicate what it can handle. This Manfrotto ballhead says it's nearly 9 lbs., yes it is twice as much but how much is more peace of mind worth? (Or replacing a camera and lens because of it falling.)

Thank you very much for sharing your thought.

I've used this particular Ball head on my other various Tripod/Monopod with different camera such as Nikon D800, D300 & D5500.
It hold very well even with my heavy lens such as 70-200mm and 17-55mm....

Thats why Im very impressed....
Heres some pics with D5500 + 18-200 lens.
20160521_011010.jpg
20160521_011010.jpg
20160521_010805.jpg

When you use a unipod or a monopod, you never have your hands off the camera anyways so it isn't going to fall to the ground.

True that.... Thanks !

Tina, simple solution. Take the head off the monopod. Ball heads on a monopod are pretty much useless. The monopod is for stability. Stability on a monopod means having the camera/lens centered over the monopod. If you tilt the bullhead to one side to orientate the camera into portrait mode from landscape mode you have now thrown all the weight off to one side. Stability now goes out the window because you are having to stabilize the camera and the monopod.

Put a quick release plate on the monopod if you like but leave the ball head off. Problem you will have with that particular setup is you will either have to go to an Arca Swiss type quick release plate system and use an L bracket or get a camera rotation device. Both are more costly than your whole monopod. If you want to make tilting the camera up and down easier then you could use something like this.

Also I would be hesitant to tilt that head sideways with much in the way of gear on it. According to makers website the head only supports 6.6 pounds. They also say 6 kilograms, however 6 kil0s = 15 pounds and I do not believe that that head will support 15 pounds. Keep in mind when you say big lens that has a lot of connotations. My 400 f2.8 and with body attached goes approximately 10 pounds. Far to heavy for that little head.

When it comes to stability build trumps size and to get a really good, stable build it will not be as small as what you are looking for.

Thank U vr much for all Ur very useful tips.
I love the idea of L bracket....
The weight issue also makes sense.

To be honest with you I would suggest saving some more and getting something that will last for a while instead of something cheap that could break or worse break your equipment.

I use a Manfrotto 496rc2 compact head which can be had from B&H now for $89.

I hate to see someone spend their money on something that in the end they will not be satisfied with. I say that because I've done it myself before and in the end spent twice as much or more to fix a impulse buy thinking I need this now. Grab yourself a decent monopod and use the camera on it for a while until you can afford a decent ball head that can take care of you now and in the future.

Murph

Actually I've been eyeing on that Manfrotto 496rc2 compact head... looks very good.

Thank U very much for sharing ur thought !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back