Smart way of taking product pictures for a website.

yacpro13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a new member on the PhotoForum, but before I launch this discussion, rest assured that I have done my homework!
I purchased Zach's OneLight DVD (great dvd by the way) and read multiple forum threads and articles.

As the title suggests, I will be needing an efficient method of taking pictures of small to medium size products for online publishing (ie an Ecommerce).

The route I've decided to go is to build a lit-background frame like the one seen here:

Web Boggles: DIY: Streamlined product photography with back-lit slope backdrop

We'll be using fluorescent tubes for a lit background as well as regular lights from the front for the actual product. I'm wondering, does it matter which fluorescent tube we use? What about color temperature? Also what about white balancing as mentioned in the article (not sure how to do it not what it's purpose is).

In the end, I am aiming for a picture just like the one of the boot: sharp, clear colors and a pure white background.
With the right setup, we hope to be able to snap near-perfect pictures and pretty much be done with it.

Thanks for your help!

If I understand correctly then it won't really matter what lights you are using, but you will have to use all the same kind of lights. For instance, if you have flourescent backlighting and tungsten front lighting then it will be impossible to get the white balance correct, because it will be two different colour temperatures at the same time.

Hi Fokker,
ok so as long as we use same temps flourescents then this should not be an issue.

Got it, thanks.

You can get flourecent lights that are a day light and you can get light bulbs that are about 5500k in temperature (which is day light), they cost a little more but not much, this will make it a lot easyer for to to get the colors right

Most reactions

New Topics

Back