Novice attempting product photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gossamer, Jun 26, 2017.

1. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nikon Speedlights spin around 180 degrees for a reason. They have a built in slave system. You just have to make sure the sensor is pointed towards the controlling flash. There is a description in your manual at what angle they are effective.

Cheap wireless radio triggers only trip light set in manual mode. The more expensive ones actually communicate and use i-ttl.

With product shots, you can just set any flash with an optical trigger on manual. Once you have the settings you like, you just leave them there for every shot. Even $70 cheap china lights work just fine this way. When using optical, they just go off when sensing a bright flash.

Those lights from Amazon will be fairly close, but for product shots that will not matter. If they just want items on the table, that light kit from amazon will be just fine.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gossamer

gossamer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here's a link to the existing product picture

Dropbox - pet.jpg

You're talking about that cheap kit on amazon? Do you have a suggestion for a similar collection that you'd recommend?

What do you think about used SB700s?

3. benhasajeep

Before buying anything. Check out Strobist.com. Lost of information on budget minded setups and good information for those dabbling with multi lights for the first time. I doubt you will make much from this job, so don't spend too much!

• Like Like x 2
  4. gossamer

gossamer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My concern was with the sensor being covered by an umbrella, etc. Is that not enough to be a concern?

Perhaps I should post a separate question regarding lighting. I realize the cheap lights will go off when sensing a bright light, but also didn't want to have to buy lights twice. If there is significant advantage to the Nikon CLS for this and portraits, then I'd invest in that. I was just unsure about communication difficulties when the lights were obscured by an unbrella or other light modifier. Buying a capable wireless system for the SB700s is a completely different proposition $$$$$

Do you mean close to the subject?

5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use Yongnuo 622N TX Radio controller and Yongnuo 622N triggers for my SB700s and SB800s.
    inexpensive to get into and great triggers.

Though when battery life starts creeping down low they have inconsistent response.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Just get Yongnuo flashes and use all the extra money to buy more lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. benhasajeep

Your flash / umbrella should be adjusted to the optical sensor will be exposed to the controlling flash. You will need a stand and flash / umbrella head. You can adjust the umbrella shaft in and out of the mount to change it's distance from the flash head. With cheaper stands you have to watch how far out the umbrella is Or make sure the legs are set so it's stable.

If your going to do more and more photo shoots in the future. The SB700's will be a good choice. Then you just need stands. You might experiment as you may not need any umbrellas. Since they want simple flat work, just putting on the included diffuser dome might work ok. Amazon has hot shoe flash / umbrella brackets anywhere from $6 ea and up. Umbrellas are not that much though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been shooting for 7 years and have never needed anything more than my Yongnuos. But ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference and what you're willing and able to make work.

9. benhasajeep

I actually don't disagree with you. Though I don't own any, I have read many posts on Strobists praising them. I myself have a load of Nikons from SB25's on up. In total I have 17 Nikon speedlights about 1/2 of them purchased used. Now only the newer 600's, 700's, and 900's that I have use CLS. For the most part I used radio triggers and the lights in manual.

As for longevity. Only 1 purchased new SB600 has failed me so far. If I needed more lights, I would probably seriously look into Yongnuos along with more used Nikons.

In this case though the OP specifically has mentioned several times they were interseted in SB700's and asked if they would work. So, to me the correct answer to him would be yes. They are fine lights and would do the job plus more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

11. gossamer

gossamer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think part of the problem is my lack of familiarity with Nikon's CLS and its limitations. I also had an opportunity (not sure it even still exists) to purchase two used SB700s for $500, and wasn't sure if used flashes was generally a good idea and more specifically if it was a good deal.

The Yongnuo RF-603Ns look like a good product, and the price is right. If I intend to have two off-camera flashes as well as my SB700 on camera, I assume I would need a total of three of these? Also, a few questions:

- It doesn't support iTTL. Isn't this something I'm going to need?
    - It only supports up to 1/320th. I also have auto-fp high-speed sync enabled. In a setting such as this, taking pictures in a warehouse, I don't see it being necessary, is this not a problem otherwise?

I've looked at the Yongnuo product line, and I'm very confused by it. I've also been looking at the YN622N, as it supports iTTL and high-speed sync.

If I just bought two more SB700s to go with the one I have, would I be able to use them without any additional hardware, as long as the flashes are all within line-of-sight of each other? My concern was with a setup where the flashes either were obstructed by modifiers or an angle that prevents the signal from reaching the other flashes...

12. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Start setting up a mock table at home. And start figuring this out in comparison to the quality of images they had before.

Personally, I don't use an on-camera flash. A on-camera flash may provide a direct reflection to your sensor which you'll probably not want. It goes down to reflecting light away from the sensor at angles. A direct light, if you've ever noticed "red eye" is from that problem.

This is one of the best books in order to learn about light and reflection and angles.
    Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting: Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua: 9780415719407: Amazon.com: Books

So start practicing and providing images for C&C and you'll get led quickly in the proper setup for your equipment.

• Like Like x 1