Novice attempting product photography

I agree, partly because I can't figure out how the communications between speedlights work. Is a transmitter needed on the SB700 (SU-800?) or is one on-camera already able to trigger two remote SB700s without any further equipment (Yongnuo 622N TX Radio controller and Yongnuo 622N triggers)?

If you want to use Nikon flashes and CLS. You will need a flash with a commander mode on the camera. Or a SU-800. If you have several SB-700's you will use one in commander mode on the camera hot shoe.

If you don't want to have a flash on the hot shoe. You can get a set of radio triggers. You can get a full set of radio triggers for the cost of 1 additional SB-700 (simple triggers that is).

If you use the suggested hot lights. You don't have to worry about triggering flashes at all.

Hi guys, I met with the client regarding taking pictures of these dog toys and have more information. Many of them are sealed in plastic, like you'd expect to see on the shelves of a Petco. She recommended taking the products out of the package and staging it to look nice to avoid the glare from a reflection from the plastic.

Is there a way to shoot it in the plastic and avoid the glare? This picture linked below was taken with my cellphone just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. There are also countless products like chew toys (20 in a bag), and odd stuffed animals not in bags but don't stand up on their own.

Many have also suggested a product table for this project, but I think the camera has to be held above the item, not in front, or it will affect the angle of the shot, no? Where do I want the shadows on the image? At the bottom?

Dropbox - xpet-sample.jpg

...She recommended taking the products out of the package and staging it to look nice ...
Rule #1 of business: A "recommendation" from a client should be treated the same as if it came from your wife. In other words, as a royal command! UNLESS they're asking for something that can't be done, or doesn't make sense. I would definitely want to remove the products from as much packaging as possible and stage them in a creative and attractive manner. It shouldn't add a lot of time per shot, once you get the hang of it. As for cellophane glare, that will be very difficult to eliminate due to all the facets that are created as the packaging is moved about.

I absolutely agree - I didn't mean to imply I was going to do what I wanted, against their wishes. She was also concerned about the picture being representative of the product, and I thought if there was a way to do it in the packaging without the glare, that it might be an option. I was going to show her a sample, but if there isn't a reproducible way to do that effectively, then I won't even try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back