Smell from brand new Canon EOS 5D MK III

drboris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear fellow Canon EOS 5D MK III owners,

I purchased a brand new Canon EOS 5D MK III from B&H Photo. Great camera. But I noticed a strange smell coming from the camera, especially from the viewfinder when a zoom lens is zoomed out after zooming in. It reminds me of the musty smell of mold but not quite. But I decided that it was better to be safe than sorry, as fungus can be quite a problem for lenses especially and exchanged it for another brand new copy.
Lo and behold the other one smells exactly the same... So it can be either of three scenarios:

1. It is not a mold smell but rather a mixture of oil and plastic ones.
2. The warehouse at B&H has a significant mold contamination but then I do not see evidence of mold on and inside the box it was in.
3. Canon had a factory mold contamination that affected only the camera but not the box.

So, my question is: has any of you noticed a similar smell coming from the camera? That information could narrow down the number of possibilities for the actual source of the smell.

With much appreciation for your time and consideration,

Boris

Dear fellow Canon EOS 5D MK III owners,

I purchased a brand new Canon EOS 5D MK III from B&H Photo. Great camera. But I noticed a strange smell coming from the camera, especially from the viewfinder when a zoom lens is zoomed out after zooming in. It reminds me of the musty smell of mold but not quite. But I decided that it was better to be safe than sorry, as fungus can be quite a problem for lenses especially and exchanged it for another brand new copy.
Lo and behold the other one smells exactly the same... So it can be either of three scenarios:

1. It is not a mold smell but rather a mixture of oil and plastic ones.
2. The warehouse at B&H has a significant mold contamination but then I do not see evidence of mold on and inside the box it was in.
3. Canon had a factory mold contamination that affected only the camera but not the box.

So, my question is: has any of you noticed a similar smell coming from the camera? That information could narrow down the number of possibilities for the actual source of the smell.

With much appreciation for your time and consideration,

Boris

the source of the smell could be one of those (3) scenarios or if all the lenses and camera smell identically the same it could possibly be your nose
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I never felt the urge to smell my gear, especially not through the viewfinder. Did you also try the wind tunnel test by any chance?

I have had new electronics come and the smell of burnt plastic wiring as soon as I opened the box. Sure enough the items were burnt out, non-functioning. Never had anything smell moldy though. Wasn't the camera wrapped in plastic? Guessing they are new ones. That should have been enough on its own to keep moisture out. That plastic is designed to keep moisture out while they are container shipped to their destinations.

Last edited:
my old D810 had a cat piss smell because I had put it on a table that my client's cat had marked :(

Smells of Chinese sweat shop does it.

Its the slow burning fuse Canon now fit to their cameras, so it stops working the day before the next version is released for sale ;)

Fro knows! Smell test.

Kidding Side I'll go smell my new 5diii for gou

Most reactions

Back