What's new

Smuggler's Cove - A Norhern California Seascape

Boring?
 
Dear God,

Please take my friend Bill out of his "Love HDR" phase very very soon.

Love,
Schwetty.
 
buwaaaa!
 
I don't find it to be the most interesting way to present it. I feel it maybe lacks some "context" - I think I want to see where that rock and that small beach actually lie, and not just that place, if you understand me. I miss the horizon, perhaps. A wider view. The sky.

I'm just writing thoughts, not really much useful, probably :) Those towels totally bring out the sizes going on here, though :)
 
no, that's good. I was leaving the scene and snapped this off with the 70-200, a wider angle would have been better, I agree. Then again, I don't want everyone to know where my secret cove is :D
 
I bet its a cool place. I find it hard to capture what I think are cool places in a picture so that others will see what I see.

I personally think that little formation just off the coast is really cool. That's where I'd hang out if I were there.
 
Interesting litle beach for sure. Nice composition. I'm assuming that this is another HDR image. If so, it's extremely well done. The rock detail is perfect.
 
Obviously HDR.. too much so. Kills it for me... just doesn't look real!
 
I don't like how people get obsessed with that all HDR must look "real". It's like some sort of automated reply, without ever considering what the treatment does to the image in question. Whose to say what's "real", anyway. No one truly knows.
 
True. It is an HDR...I'm just having fun experimenting with it. The rocks used to be a natural bridge between the two formations but it fell into the sea like 15 years ago. I hadn't been here in many years but previously this beach was inacessable by most, unmarked and desolate. Now there's a large pull-off and parking and a "no camping" sign that makes it visible from the road. It's still a steep, loose rock cliff that needs to be hiked down, not for the feeble or weak legged.
There's a man made tunnel that starts at the bottom right of the cliff and runs back under the highway to who knows where? We walked in 150' in pitch blackness, only my cell phone LED lighting the way. My wife was terrified so we came back out. Rumor has it that the tunnel was created for contriband during prohibition to be carried discretely ashore without detection. Someday I will take good lights and see where it leads.
 
no, that's good. I was leaving the scene and snapped this off with the 70-200, a wider angle would have been better, I agree. Then again, I don't want everyone to know where my secret cove is :D

I know where it is....how much will you pay me to keep quiet?
I was thinking.....$15,000?
 
Do you really? There are a few nice semi-privet beaches along the northern coast (I'm sure southern too) I used t back a snack and ride my bike up the coast exploring. Plus I was a professional fisherman and know the coast very well and would spot things worth exploring by land.

There's another beach a bit more north we call "whale bone" that has gorgeous rolling dunes of golden sand.
 
when it was pointed out to me it was called sharks fin cove, and was told you get good shots if you brave the ledge you see on the upper left of the photo. Its between SC and SF right?

Havnt heard of whale bone though.
 
Yes, it's just south of Davenport, same beach. Smuggler's Cove because the tunnel. That shark fin was a natural bridge before falling into the sea so that name is relatively new. Whale bone is a ways North.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom