Snail

Mohain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gtbphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been a bit quiet here recently. Not much photography time. Did get some extention tubes tho. Here's my first snap with them :)

snail.jpg

Cheers,

Mohain

Very nice, the b&w works very well, what lens did you use and how was it getting enough light in, did the lens end up so close that there was no room for a ring flash?

tim

Cheers :)

tpe, i used my Canon 135mm f2.8 sf which has a very long min focus distance. With the large and middle tube (can't remember the tubes sizes off hand) attached the focus distance was about 18 inches. Haven't tried it with the 50mm yet. They wont work with EFS lenses.

Good to see you and your photos again.
I really like your conversion technique very much and knew more of how you do it. Your photos always burst with detail and contrast (just in the right amount, I mean, not going overboard)!

Ahh, thanks :) Anti & LaFoto, you say the nicest things :hug::

Tyson, extention tubes fit between the body of your camera and the lens allowing you to foucs closer to an object. A cheap method of getting macro shots. I feel ok about spending £60 on a set of tubes (the tubes are 3 different widths to allow a combination of sizes) to snap the occasional still object on a table under a lamp. If I had spent £300 on a dedicated macro lens I'd feel obliged to spend all day sitting by a flower trying to take picutes of a 3mm long fly hand-held at f2.8, and I don't have the patience for that ;)

Lafoto, I did a channel mixer conversion for the mono (I think it was the 'customRGB to greyscale', one of the Photoshop actions). The snail shell was shot on a black background and with a curves adjustment layer opened I selected the black-point eye-dropper and clicked on the background. I then made quite a steep s-curve to increase the contrast. Then I increased the contrast still futher with a masked levels layer painted into selective areas.

Sorry for the long-winded reply!

Cheers :mrgreen:

Mohain

nice one mo.... i love the effect the outer shell has as it blurs out.... good stuff man :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back