Snapshot vs Photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
but you would agree with regard to portraits as they are typically depending on timing. I mean, you tell the people what to do, but often you try to time it where the people are most natural, and not with odd expressions.

Or is the key to it having a substantial amount of time, such that if you have a portrait say in a studio in which you say for example "turn your head, tilt this way, smile, on the count of three... then that would be a portrait?

but you would agree with regard to portraits as they are typically depending on timing. I mean, you tell the people what to do, but often you try to time it where the people are most natural, and not with odd expressions.

Or is the key to it having a substantial amount of time, such that if you have a portrait say in a studio in which you say for example "turn your head, tilt this way, smile, on the count of three... then that would be a portrait?
I never go into that much detail at all when making a distinction between "snapshot" and "photograph" but for the purposes of this thread, I explained my thoughts. In reality I look at all images as "pictures" and evaluate them as such. I would never think of a picture differently depending on whether or not it is a snapshot or photograph.

But to answer your question, yes, having a substantial amount of time is the difference in my opinion. If you were to catch a model with an unplanned expression or spontaneous motion, then I'd call it a snapshot. Pictures that appear on the cover of magazines for example, are photographs because (most of the time) they are planned.

The important thing to remember is that in reality, this distinction means absolutely nothing (in my opinion). It's like the difference between pail and container. In reality, there is no difference between saying "hand me that container" or "hand me that pail".

Oh this is a fun thread!

:popcorn:

I agree, I'm surprised that with the exception of about 3 other people and I, no one else has an opinion on this.

I think there just isn't a whole lot to discuss. Anything anyone can say will just be their personal opinion.

I think it's all about intent. If you just want to 'preserve the moment', and don't really care about anything else - snapshot.

Even a snapshot is a 'photograph' though. Although, even though a 'photograph' is just an 'image, created by light' - I personally think it should only apply to a print.

Oh this is a fun thread!

I agree, I'm surprised that with the exception of about 3 other people and I, no one else has an opinion on this.

Well, when you hold a definition to a word that goes against conventional wisdom, and you aren't discussing the topic at hand, what to do you expect?

The context of the question is, what is the difference between a crap image, and a good image. You are argueing about a definition. I see many holes in your definition from what you have posted thus far, but I don't care to argue. I'd rather sit back, eat my popcorn, and giggle.

I would say in snapshots you seize an opportunity while in photographs
you create one.

Oh this is a fun thread!

Well, when you hold a definition to a word that goes against conventional wisdom, and you aren't discussing the topic at hand, what to do you expect?

The context of the question is, what is the difference between a crap image, and a good image. You are argueing about a definition.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I try use the English language as it was intended to be used. Words have definitions. Why would you ignore that? Yes, I am arguing about a definition because that is exactly what is relevant to this question.

I see many holes in your definition from what you have posted thus far, but I don't care to argue. I'd rather sit back, eat my popcorn, and giggle.
Why involve yourself in a thread and then sarcastically state that you won't continue to contribute? Your user name is suiting.

Every snapshot is a photograph. But not every photograph is a snapshot.

I have to agree with Derrel on this one.

From Wikipedia: A photograph (often shortened to photo) is an image created by light falling on a light-sensitive surface, usually photographic film or an electronic imager such as a CCD or a CMOS chip.

Indeed, in the most literal sense, every image produced by a camera is a photograph. However not every photograph is a snapshot.

"I don't understand why people are getting so defensive."

They're getting defensive because it seems that you are speaking another dialect of Photography. Although it may not be your intention, the wording that you are choosing to describe certain images is derogatory and offensive to the majority of photographers. For example: In some cultures or people groups, a certain word may be a neutral descriptor, however to others, it may mean something completely different and offensive. I won't give specific examples now in order to avoid offending someone, but give it some thought.

I always thought of a snapshot as just something you take so you can laugh or smile at later. for example, you're at a prom and you say "oh , nice dress", and take the picture. with out putting any photographic merit into it. Or if your friend is doing something funny and you say. "I just have to take a picture, i gotta show tim later"

But a Photograph is planned art.You're expecting to look at it and say "Yeah, I did pretty good" or for others to say "That's a great photo" Something that you put effort or art into.

Driving in Nascar and driving to the store are both considering driving

Both people call themselves DRIVERS but only one calls himself a RACER

so you and your goofy friend are both technically Photographers, but only one of you expects Photographs to be the outcome

i understand this is a different discussion but the outcome is probably going to be similar.

only 40 more pages to go

The context of the question is, what is the difference between a crap image, and a good image. You are argueing about a definition.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I try use the English language as it was intended to be used. Words have definitions. Why would you ignore that? Yes, I am arguing about a definition because that is exactly what is relevant to this question.

Language is also rather fluid, and definitions change over time. While you wish to continue argueing over it, you are not exactly addressing the OP's issue. I believe it stems from one of his threads, where an image was called a snapshot, and the use of the term was actually erroneous. Which I believe confused Agent Drex..

I see many holes in your definition from what you have posted thus far, but I don't care to argue. I'd rather sit back, eat my popcorn, and giggle.
Why involve yourself in a thread and then sarcastically state that you won't continue to contribute? Your user name is suiting.

Why should I engage in your arguement? You seem rather stubborn, and thus, continueing becomes moot.

this is my definition.

a snapshot apeals to only the people in the photo or to someone who knows them or the photographer.

a photograph will make a strange take a second look and perhaps even a wow.

I think this question was answered accurately in the first page

Language is also rather fluid, and definitions change over time. While you wish to continue argueing over it, you are not exactly addressing the OP's issue. I believe it stems from one of his threads, where an image was called a snapshot, and the use of the term was actually erroneous. Which I believe confused Agent Drex..
I believe that I am addressing the OP's issue. He asked what is the difference between a crap picture and a good "photograph". Or "what is the difference between a snapshot and a photograph" (as the title of the thread suggests). Which implies that he thinks a snapshot is a bad picture.

What I'm trying to show is that in my opinion, a snapshot is not a bad picture. Snapshot and photograph are two words to describe the methods of capture of an image. It is the standalone image itself, or "picture" that determines "good" and "bad", not the word "snapshot" or "photograph". He is asking to differentiate between two words. My answer is that in terms of image quality, there is no difference. This was also my opinion and I was very clear about this.

Why should I engage in your arguement? You seem rather stubborn, and thus, continueing becomes moot.
I'm stubborn because I'm expressing my opinion and supplying you with reasons why I have that opinion? I think that you expect me to just agree with what everyone else is saying. Instead of supplying your own opinion you continue to insist that my opinion is wrong. This issue is purely subjective which is why it was made into a thread in the first place (subjectivity can lead to confusion).

"I don't understand why people are getting so defensive."

They're getting defensive because it seems that you are speaking another dialect of Photography. Although it may not be your intention, the wording that you are choosing to describe certain images is derogatory and offensive to the majority of photographers.
How is anything I said regarding someone's photo derogatory. In fact, I specifically mentioned that I was NOT diminishing the quality of anyone's photo by calling it a snapshot.

The only time I wrote anything remotely derogatory was when someone acted that way in response to my posts. Other than that, I have not been mean, nasty, or degrading in any of my posts. I fail to see what I have done wrong here. I continue to explain my opinion and why I think what I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back