Snapshot vs Photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
markshappylightingfinal.jpg

"Snapshot" / "Photograph"

The key to this discussion is, to a photographer, "snapshot" is a derogatory word. When I tell someone "that's a lovely snapshot", I've given the worst insult I can possibly imagine in this field.

The key to this discussion is, to a photographer, "snapshot" is a derogatory word. When I tell someone "that's a lovely snapshot", I've given the worst insult I can possibly imagine in this field.
I understand the connotation but I disagree.

Disagree all you want. Doesn't change the fact that most photographers (i.e., those trying to improve their craft) will interpret "snapshot" as an insult. Additionally, it is impossible to take a photo without thought.

Disagree all you want.
Why would you expect me to suddenly agree?

Doesn't change the fact that most photographers (i.e., those trying to improve their craft) will interpret "snapshot" as an insult.

I guess I'm not most photographers.

Additionally, it is impossible to take a photo without thought.

It's impossible to do anything without thought. I apologize if you have trouble making inferences. I didn't literally mean "without thought". I've already explained my view multiple times and in different ways. If you still can't understand what I'm saying then I suggest you just pretend I never posted in this thread.

Maybe it all boils down to what snapshot formally means in the English language.

From the Oxford dictionary -

snapshot - an informal photograph taken quickly, typically with a small handheld camera

And from Wikipedia -

A snapshot is popularly defined as a photograph that is "shot" spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent. Snapshots are commonly considered to be technically "imperfect" or amateurish--out of focus or poorly framed or composed. The term derives from the snap shot of hunting.

Going by these definitions, no wonder then that professionals might take offense to their photographs being called snapshots however unintentional the intent might be :)

Someone in another post said sports shots are snapshots so i shoot 90% snapshots
That was me and I still hold that opinion.

For me, a snapshot is a shot that is taken quickly without thought.
I have no trouble at all making inferences. "... a snapshot is a shot that is taken quickly without thought" is pretty straightforward, is it not? Without thought. Again, that is impossible. The comment is still idiotic even if I give you the benefit of the doubt. Quickness is not an adequate criteria for which we should determine quality. Some of the best street photography in the world is quick. So what? They're also fucking awesome photographs.

If you take a picture of something that you put any level of thought into, then it's not a snapshot.
So this basically includes all photographs.
You don't plan the moment a receiver catches a touchdown pass, so it's a snapshot.
Actually, it can be planned. Sports photographers using 35mm film have been planning and getting those shots for years.

Someone in another post said sports shots are snapshots so i shoot 90% snapshots
That was me and I still hold that opinion.

For me, a snapshot is a shot that is taken quickly without thought.
I have no trouble at all making inferences. "... a snapshot is a shot that is taken quickly without thought" is pretty straightforward, is it not? Without thought. Again, that is impossible. The comment is still idiotic even if I give you the benefit of the doubt.
You clearly have not read all of my posts.
Quickness is not an adequate criteria for which we should determine quality. Some of the best street photography in the world is quick. So what? They're also fucking awesome photographs.

When did I ever say that quickness determines quality. In fact, if you've read my posts (which you clearly haven't) I've been saying just the opposite. I won't even bother to find the multiple quotes in which I do because if you couldn't take the time to read the entire thread, you won't take the time to understand what I'm saying.

Edit: In an attempt to end this ridiculous argument (but mostly because I'm bored) I have found a quote that should satisfy you.
"A snapshot could be in National Geographic and so could a "photograph". To me, the two terms don't differentiate between quality, they differentiate between method of shooting."
And by "method of shooting" I am referring to "time", which you would understand if you had read all of my posts.

Actually, it can be planned. Sports photographers using 35mm film have been planning and getting those shots for years.
You're missing the point, yet again.

Further edit: I don't understand why people are getting so defensive. The OP asked a simple question. What is the difference between these two words. I explained my view on how they are different. My view is clearly different from others' view. Instead of trying to say I'm wrong, why don't you answer the OP's question and support it with evidence that you have discovered on your own.

Last edited:
So if I am reading right, Polyphony believes that a snapshot is an image that is fully planned, and thought through... also, It seems it would be something that would be able to be done with a timer as well as by hand, as a photograph is not influenced by timing. If it were influenced by timing it would be a snapshot right?

Obviously the problem is it takes away all portraits from being photography (street photography is obviously also off the docket) from being a photograph. Really the only things I can think of that would be photography would be maybe landscape photography, and still life images.

So if I am reading right, Polyphony believes that a snapshot is an image that is fully planned, and thought through... also, It seems it would be something that would be able to be done with a timer as well as by hand, as a photograph is not influenced by timing. If it were influenced by timing it would be a snapshot right?

Obviously the problem is it takes away all portraits from being photography (street photography is obviously also off the docket) from being a photograph. Really the only things I can think of that would be photography would be maybe landscape photography, and still life images.
This is not what I believe but considering you didn't get all aggressive, I will explain my belief again. A snapshot is any photograph that relies on timing of the subject. For instance, the time it takes for a ball to fly past a goalie is what? 1/4 - 1/2 a second or less? If you actually got that shot off (as gsgary showed in one of his posts), then it is a snapshot. Regardless of how long it took him to plan the location and lighting. It's still a snapshot because of the time frame. If you look at an image of a rose resting on a concrete sidewalk, it is a photograph. The subject is not moving. You will not have missed the shot if you waited 1/2 a second longer. I realize the issue arises in landscape photography where you are limited by the time of day and passing clouds. In this case, I would still call them photographs because there is still significant time to get the shot you want. The sun doesn't set in 1/2 second.

By the way, photographs are influenced by timing...I think I explained how in the above paragraph.

After re-reading your post, did you mean to say, "Polyphony believes that a photograph is an image that is fully planned..."? If that's what you meant, then yes, everything you said is what I believe.

gsgray

crossed my mind they are very much alike:sexywink: :sexywink:

gsgray

crossed my mind they are very much alike:sexywink: :sexywink:
This is an entirely different discussion but the premise of it is hilarious and ironic to me. I hope others realize why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back