Snapshot vs Photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
i understand this is a different discussion but the outcome is probably going to be similar.

only 40 more pages to go
I highly disagree. I would not say anything close to what he has to some posters. My intent is not to be condescending, it is to express my opinion which was asked by the OP. If you read my posts you will realize that that is all I have done.

"I don't understand why people are getting so defensive."

They're getting defensive because it seems that you are speaking another dialect of Photography. Although it may not be your intention, the wording that you are choosing to describe certain images is derogatory and offensive to the majority of photographers.
How is anything I said regarding someone's photo derogatory. In fact, I specifically mentioned that I was NOT diminishing the quality of anyone's photo by calling it a snapshot.

The only time I wrote anything remotely derogatory was when someone acted that way in response to my posts. Other than that, I have not been mean, nasty, or degrading in any of my posts. I fail to see what I have done wrong here. I continue to explain my opinion and why I think what I think.

Please re-read what i said. I SPECIFICALLY stated that it may not be your intention to do so, but you inadvertantly are offending people by your statement. We understand what you believe. I am simply saying that many people do not believe the same thing that you do, and, due to that disparity of interpretation, are offended by your calling a photo a snapshot, no matter what the intention.

"I don't understand why people are getting so defensive."

They're getting defensive because it seems that you are speaking another dialect of Photography. Although it may not be your intention, the wording that you are choosing to describe certain images is derogatory and offensive to the majority of photographers.
How is anything I said regarding someone's photo derogatory. In fact, I specifically mentioned that I was NOT diminishing the quality of anyone's photo by calling it a snapshot.

The only time I wrote anything remotely derogatory was when someone acted that way in response to my posts. Other than that, I have not been mean, nasty, or degrading in any of my posts. I fail to see what I have done wrong here. I continue to explain my opinion and why I think what I think.

Please re-read what i said. I SPECIFICALLY stated that it may not be your intention to do so, but you inadvertantly are offending people by your statement. We understand what you believe. I am simply saying that many people do not believe the same thing that you do, and, due to that disparity of interpretation, are offended by your calling a photo a snapshot, no matter what the intention.

I understand what you said. But the whole purpose of my posting in this thread was to show that calling a picture a "snapshot" does not mean it's a terrible picture. The fact that I said that should let people know that I am not saying anything bad about their pictures. There really is no reason for anyone to get offended. If anyone was offended then I'm sorry. They should realize that I am not being derogatory, just the opposite in fact.

For example: I called gsgary's photos snapshots but I SPECIFICALLY said that that was NOT an indication of the quality of his images. I happen to think that the shot of the goalie is excellent.

Why would they realize that, Polyphony, when the hundred other people who say it, mean it as "your image is bad"? Hmmm?

Why would they realize that, Polyphony, when the hundred other people who say it, mean it as "your image is bad"? Hmmm?
If they can read, they would realize that; seeing as how I clearly stated it in my posts...hilarious.

The "hundred other people" (what hundred by the way?) who say it in a derogatory way are not relevant here anyway because I am expressing MY opinion, not the opinion of others. I am amazed that you and others don't see this. How many times have I stated that it was MY OPINION?

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

You're precious.

You're precious.
How clever...
You haven't contributed anything useful to this thread or the OP's question.

Congratulations. You pay to be a member of forum in which you continue to act like an opinion...yeah, you know what I mean.

Polyphony, your definition of snapshot is worth consideration, but I would point out that it has evolved over the course of this thread and perhaps your refusal to acknowledge this plays some part in the rancor you seem to have stirred up. Your initial definition seemed to include two necessary aspects: time constraint and lack of thought ("If you take a picture of something that you put any level of thought into, then it's not a snapshot"). Lately, the definition seems to have narrowed to include only the concept of time constraint.

You're precious.
How clever...
You haven't contributed anything useful to this thread or the OP's question.

Congratulations. You pay to be a member of forum in which you continue to act like an opinion...yeah, you know what I mean.

Awww...what happened to your high horse? I wanted to pet it.

Polyphony, your definition of snapshot is worth consideration, but I would point out that it has evolved over the course of this thread and perhaps your refusal to acknowledge this plays some part in the rancor you seem to have stirred up. Your initial definition seemed to include two necessary aspects: time constraint and lack of thought ("If you take a picture of something that you put any level of thought into, then it's not a snapshot"). Lately, the definition seems to have narrowed to include only the concept of time constraint.
This is true. Lately I have been focusing mainly on time simply because it outweighs the necessity of "thought". If a shot is made in a matter of 1/2 to 1/4 of a second, I assumed not as much thought was put into the actual taking of the picture. (Because it happens so fast). I can see where there may be confusion when I said there must be thought and significant time. In this respect I may be wrong and I admit that. For me, it really is time that makes the distinction.

But either way, no one should have been offended by what I had said, seeing as how I made it clear that I was not degrading anyone's image or skill in general.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, this is a photograph. It has posed subjects that were deliberately grouped together for the express purpose of having a photo taken.

img9449a.jpg

Which would make this a snapshot because there was no control over the subject and the composition was little more than an educated guess that was done in a spur of the moment.

img8474a.jpg

By your definition, almost all photojournalism would be nothing more than snapshots.

edit
Maybe 'photojournalism' is the wrong word... You know what I mean though.

Awww...what happened to your high horse? I wanted to pet it.

The fact that you viewed me as being on a high horse indicates that you have undoubtedly misinterpreted every single one of my posts. That is enough for me to realize that you are not worth responding to in this thread. Please continue acting the way you have been. It's entertaining. I must also point out that I find it hilarious that I am being compared to Petraio Prime, what with some of the other responses in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back