Snipe

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I heard this bird calling- took me ages to actually spot him, hunkered down amongst some dead reeds- very hard to spot

Sonya9 + Sony 200-600mm lens

f7.1 - 1/750th sec - ISO 1600

1srrC9F.jpg

Les :)

Easy to see why it would take a long time to spot him, even when making noise because he's so well camouflaged.
Nice low shot, there's some mud on your chin. :wink-6:

Wonderful shot! Ever been snipe hunting with a sack?
Funny you mentioned that. As kids, "snipe hunting" was a joke because it was rumored that snipes didn't exist. After a few years of being an adult I discovered that there is such a thing. My question now is, who made up that dumb joke?

Funny you mentioned that. As kids, "snipe hunting" was a joke because it was rumored that snipes didn't exist. After a few years of being an adult I discovered that there is such a thing. My question now is, who made up that dumb joke?
The thing is, you had to do it at night with a sack and a stick. According to Wikipedia, it's been around for quite a long time.

"A snipe hunt is a type of practical joke or fool's errand, in existence in North America as early as the 1840s[citation needed], in which an unsuspecting newcomer is duped into trying to catch a nonexistent animal called a snipe. Although snipe are an actual family of birds, a snipe hunt is a quest for an imaginary creature whose description varies.

The target of the prank is led to an outdoor spot and given instructions for catching the snipe; these often include waiting in the dark and holding an empty bag or making noises to attract the creature. The others involved in the prank then leave the newcomer alone in the woods to discover the joke. As an American rite of passage, snipe hunting is often associated with summer camps and groups such as the Boy Scouts."

Easy to see why it would take a long time to spot him, even when making noise because he's so well camouflaged.
Nice low shot, there's some mud on your chin. :wink-6:
Ha ha how right you are on both counts bud :)
Wonderful shot! Ever been snipe hunting with a sack?
No I can't say I have Jeff :)

Les

Most reactions

Back