so confused!!

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am confused about all the different lens choices. I am about to order a canon t3i I have the choice of buying these two lenses:
18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6
55-250 mm f/4.0-5.6

*edit: I was going to get these two lenses, not one or the other. My husband read a ton and out of our options it seemed this would be the best deal....

can someone please tell me in what situations I would use these lenses for? I know that I am going to buy the 50 mm 1.8 so that I can take portrait shots of my kids, but I am confused. If the lens goes 18-135 why do I need the 50? Can't I just set it on 50 and it be the same thing? I am the type of person who needs things in hand to understand, so please excuse my ignorance.

Is there some sort of chart that tells me what mm to use for what situations? Or a book I can get?

paigew said:
Hi I am confused about all the different lens choices. I am about to order a canon t3i I have the choice of buying these two lenses:
18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6
55-250 mm f/4.0-5.6

*edit: I was going to get these two lenses, not one or the other. My husband read a ton and out of our options it seemed this would be the best deal....

can someone please tell me in what situations I would use these lenses for? I know that I am going to buy the 50 mm 1.8 so that I can take portrait shots of my kids, but I am confused. If the lens goes 18-135 why do I need the 50? Can't I just set it on 50 and it be the same thing? I am the type of person who needs things in hand to understand, so please excuse my ignorance.

Is there some sort of chart that tells me what mm to use for what situations? Or a book I can get?

There isn't a chart, that I know of, that would tell you what mm to use in certain situations. It's all dependent on you. Obviously zooms at the far length are for getting a picture of something far away with the ability to zoom right up to it. 50mm (35 on a crop) is how we see things. Wide angle (18mm) is when you want to get a big scene - like a landscape or something.

50mm f/1.8 is a lot different then just zooming to 50. A 50mm f/1.8 is faster, sharper and better in low light. You can also produce a nice blurred background. You can get a blurred background with the zoom but it's nicer on the 50.

18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 50mm will not be that great in low light. The f number is the aperture an the zooms you are getting are variable meaning it changes when you zoom. A zoom is good to learn what lens you want. Some people like zooms some like primes. Once you get your lens spend a day with it on 50mm and spend the next day on 35 and see what focal length works best for you - that will help you decide was fast prime you want. The smaller the f# the faster and better the lens will be on low light.

Choose the 18-135 and get the 50.
The 18-135 should be a good starter lens....just don't expect to much from it.

The 50 is actually a very versatile lens and for the money you can't go wrong. It will work in low light, it will give you thin depth of field, it is as sharp as pretty much any other lens at 5.6.

This would be a good combo to start out with....and you don't have to break the bank.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. If you pay $200 for a lens, especially telephoto zooms, realize that it is going to be a poor lens.

The 18-135mm lens is considered a kit lens, albeit with a good reach. The 55-250mm IS lens is a telephoto as said and though not a pro spec lens is great value for money. If you buy these 2 lenses they both cover the 55-135mm range. I only say this because if you got the cheaper 18-55 IS lens(also a kit lens) with the 55-250mm you would still cover the same focal lengths. To be honest I would prefer to have your original choices as the 18-135mm gives great range and would make a good everyday lens, but as already said neither of these lenses will be fantastic in low light, but the IS on both will offset this to some extent. To be fair its a good start and as said above the EF50mm f1.8 would be one to consider as it is a good low light performer.At the price of your 18-135 and 55-250 you could bag a 18-55, a 55-250 and a 50mm f1.8, just depends on whether you can do without the convienience of the 18-135

I like the book quick snap guide to using digital lenses by David Busch. Really taught me the basics pretty well. Available in regular or kindle on amazon

18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6
55-250 mm f/4.0-5.6

You need the 24-70F2.8L it will turn a Terrier into a Collie :sexywink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back