So F'ing Frustrated!

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, as most of you know, I hate working for the Greatest Space Agency of All Time, and I am actively looking for a new job.

In fact, I'm looking right now. It's very frustrating because I'm smart, capable, competent, and able to do almost any job. I think I have (now) a decent resume. Yet, when I do find a job to apply for, I never hear from them. But mostly I can't find anything at all these days.
I have discovered that my biggest problem--and I assume that this is a problem for others who are also trying to change careers--is that I make too much now to take an entry level job, but I lack the experience to get a decent paying job.

Also, why is it when I look at crap websites like Monster and CareerBuilder, all they have is either entry level jobs or jobs that you need 15 years' experience?

It's so damn frustrating.

Thanks for letting me vent!

:hug:: I know you've been looking for a while now! I'm sorry that it's frustrating you so much! I have faith that you'll find something good! :hug::

...and don't forget you can PM me or email me AAAAANY time you need to vent.

Good Luck JoCose!

Well, all I can say is I feel your pain. When Aubrey lost his job last April he couldn't find anything here. We started by looking for jobs in his field when they cut hours at his shop in March but there weren't any. The only one he could find was third shift almost in Maine and the travel time made it so that we couldn't afford to live on the salary offered. He looked for everything from a stocker at Walmart and up. Nobody would hire him for the lesser paying jobs because like you, he was over qualified. That's why he's been in TX since May. Thankfully he has a very good job there.

What about going back to school for an advanced degree in a different field? That's what Aubrey will be doing come January. I really have no advice for you but just wanted to say you aren't alone.

Alison said:
Well, all I can say is I feel your pain. When Aubrey lost his job last April he couldn't find anything here. We started by looking for jobs in his field when they cut hours at his shop in March but there weren't any. The only one he could find was third shift almost in Maine and the travel time made it so that we couldn't afford to live on the salary offered. He looked for everything from a stocker at Walmart and up. Nobody would hire him for the lesser paying jobs because like you, he was over qualified. That's why he's been in TX since May. Thankfully he has a very good job there.

What about going back to school for an advanced degree in a different field? That's what Aubrey will be doing come January. I really have no advice for you but just wanted to say you aren't alone.

When all else fails go back to school :) I could go back and finish my PhD, but there are several things...1) being in school all my life is what has gotten me into the prediciment I'm currently in--over educated under skilled, 2) I don't know what I would want to get a degree in. I've thought about computers, but I'd be competing (frighteningly) with kids almost 1/2 my age, 3) 2 and 1/2 years ago, I began planning to return to school in England to finish my Phd. It's a 3 year program...I would be nearly done and Dr. Cose now...oh, well, and 4) Once you have been making money, it's really hard to go back to making nothing. When I left school, I was earning (not including my tuition remission) about $8,000 a year...I often wonder how I supported myself...and I ate and drank out a lot more then.

Still, I do consider myself to be an academic, and I would love to be back in school...I just need a sugar mamma who will support me :lmao:

Most reactions

Back