So How Can I Make An Upgrade?

i dont do too much macro shooting. i want a good normal lense, when i shoot people with my big lense i have to stand very far for it to look normal.

I just bought a 50mm f/1.4 and I LOVE it! It was about $325 and not easy to find (seemed to be back ordered everywhere) at the moment I wanted it, but I have it now and I love it. You could also look at a 50mm f/1.8, which Amazon usually has for about $90. I've heard mixed reviews about it-mostly that the photos it produces are good, but the construction is kind of basic. I decided that if it might break, I may as well spend the money on the 50 mm f/1.4. But that is entirely up to you. I like the wider aperture that allows me to shoot clearer shots in lower light. That was my main issue with the kit lens I don't have an external flash and I hate the pop-up. I can use higher shutter speeds in lower lighting conditions. Anyway, that is my recommendation. Good luck!

I would love a 500mm f/1.4 too... ;)

Hey, is that the new model that comes with a free Jeep to be used as a tripod with that lens? :lol:

Seriously... there are 2 issues here for the OP.

1. Lack of knowledge. They do not know what they want, that is the first thing that needs addressing. Be CLEAR on your needs and desires. Once that is sorted out you will find a direction. Lack of knowledge about what is out there. Google is your friend. Find out why a specific camera would be good or bad for you. That takes research... lots of it. I would say that before I made the decision to purchase my D700, I read a good 200 hours on the net about it, downloaded the manual from Nikon, emailed, PMed about 20 D700 owners and spoke to a good 10 D700 owners either face to face or over the phone... often long distance.

2. Lack of funds. Well, there is no fixed solution here but plenty of possible directions. I'll touch on those below.

- Keep the same camera, invest in high end lenses. This is usually the smart thing to do, ONLY if you invest in quality glass. Good glass today will be good glass 25 years later. Crap lenses are crap today and for forever. The same cannot be said of cameras as they improve from generation to generation.

- Accept a lower end upgrade camera that offers minimal increases (XSi over the XT for example) and know that in the near future, you will be spending yet again on a camera upgrade that offers you again, small increases.

- The "where there is a will, there is a way" method. This is where you are clear on what you want and will do what is needed to get it. For example, if you were clear you wanted a 5D II, you worked your hiney off, saved for it and got it. Not only does this method build a little character in the younger aged group, it puts a much higher quality camera in their bags. Be aware that as you go up the scale of camera quality, lens quality should be held to an equal scale. Don't be putting a kit lens on a nice camera and cripple it's potential.

The lack of funds situation... It is not exactly the same, but as an example, my niece moves from high school to college this year. She wants a new wardrobe for when school starts. Instead of going to mommy and daddy and filling their credit cards, all on her own, she has found a part time job in a store (by some strange coincidence it is the same store that she plans to shop for her cloths in, and as an employee gets significant discounts... lol), tutors 4 students in biology and trig and 2 students on piano on a weekly basis and does small chores for me which I pay her for (ok, ok, they are mostly totally useless, but I want to help her out and as I said, at least it shows character... lol)

That are a couple of the possibke options that I see. Hope that helps out.

I also have a Rebel XT and am looking to upgrade. I shoot semi-professionally and early on decided to spend my money on lenses and lights. It is only recently I have become unhappy with my rebel.

I was doing stills for a documentary in very low light and it it was the first time in three years I felt my camera was holding me back.

Any new dlsr from Canon is going to be a big improvement over the XT. You can still find new 40ds around and great prices, even used 5ds. My self I am looking for either a new 40d, 50d, or use 5d. I almost switched to Nikon and bought a d700 but realized tuition was a little more important.

as of right now, im stuck with the Canon Rebel Xt.

it's one of the first slr's canon released, im pleased with it but would like to upgrade.

i'm interested in the canon 5D Mark 2, but 2,500 bucks is alot of money and i'm not sure i'll be making the right decision.

maybe i should just go with the Canon Rebel XSI, i think that camera will get the job done, and for only about 800 dollars.

i take photography at concerts and low light most of the time.

can anyone help me out

Idk if you have seen the new rebel that's coming out. Might be a good choice for you, if u dont want to spend a lot.

• 15.1Mp APS-C Format CMOS Sensor The Canon EOS Rebel T1i contains a 15.1 megapixel APS-C Format CMOS Sensor capable of producing stunningly detailed poster-sized prints

• HD 1080p Video Capture High-Definition 1080p video capture (1920x1080 @ 20fps) from a quality DSLR is now priced within the reach of beginners and serious amateurs alike. Depending on your needs, the Rebel T1i can also be programmed to capture 720p (1280x720 @ 30fps) and VGA video (640x480 @ 30fps). For high-quality image playback the T1i features an HDMI connection that enables you to watch stills and video on any HDTV

• DIGIC 4 Image Processor Canon's powerful DIGIC 4 Image Processor makes it possible to quickly (and accurately) process large volumes of 14-bit image data for output in the form of high quality, noise-free still and video imagery

• 3" Clear View LCD with Live View Live, real-time 100% reflex viewing from a large 920,000-dot scratch and glare-resistant LCD allows you to critically focus the camera lens while composing your images as well as carefully edit the final results

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera | B&H Photo Video

Idk if you have seen the new rebel that's coming out. Might be a good choice for you, if u dont want to spend a lot.

• 15.1Mp APS-C Format CMOS Sensor The Canon EOS Rebel T1i contains a 15.1 megapixel APS-C Format CMOS Sensor capable of producing stunningly detailed poster-sized prints

• HD 1080p Video Capture High-Definition 1080p video capture (1920x1080 @ 20fps) from a quality DSLR is now priced within the reach of beginners and serious amateurs alike. Depending on your needs, the Rebel T1i can also be programmed to capture 720p (1280x720 @ 30fps) and VGA video (640x480 @ 30fps). For high-quality image playback the T1i features an HDMI connection that enables you to watch stills and video on any HDTV

• DIGIC 4 Image Processor Canon's powerful DIGIC 4 Image Processor makes it possible to quickly (and accurately) process large volumes of 14-bit image data for output in the form of high quality, noise-free still and video imagery

• 3" Clear View LCD with Live View Live, real-time 100% reflex viewing from a large 920,000-dot scratch and glare-resistant LCD allows you to critically focus the camera lens while composing your images as well as carefully edit the final results

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera | B&H Photo Video

wow!

i think you just picked out my new camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back