So I am my school's new photograper...

Get lots of really embarrassing photos of everybody, then tell them if you come up short on good shots, you'll have to use those. They'll be fighting for a spot in front of your lens.

Who cares what the other peeps think? I'm a weirdo and a bit of a loser, but photography is my passion, so screw the others. Like Chris B said, you've got to be outgoing. Jump up and say "Hey guys, wanna be in the yearbook?" enthusiastically. What's the worst that can happen? They can say 'no' and walk away. That's when you shrug and move onto the next group.

And like the others have said, people normally go crazy when they see a camera.. and when it's a camera + yearbook in the same space, I think they'll be posing for photo's everywhere you look.

Good luck! :)

Get lots of really embarrassing photos of everybody, then tell them if you come up short on good shots, you'll have to use those. They'll be fighting for a spot in front of your lens.

Don't do this. :lol: People will definitely not like you for this. I mean, sure it's a good way to get lots of photos, but people won't be very happy that you're basically threatening them to get their pictures taken. :lol:

I'm the photographer for newspaper and yearbook at my school, too, so I'm starting to figure out how to get people to be enthusiatic about getting their picture taken. You have to be very energetic when taking people's pictures, even if what you're doing is a little outside of your comfort zone. Act happy when someone lets you take their picture, and work on learning some poses so people think you know what you're doing. It'll come easy to you, don't worry. :)

So I did this "shoot" on Monday, my first for the yearbook. I was taking pictures of a costume contest at my school.

And I learned two things:
1. The lighting in the auditorium is like a black hole. It sucks, and is totally devoid of light.
2. I really need a 55-200 VR lens.

Most of my shots stunk, as the low ISO made crazy digital noise, which didn't lend anything to the pictures.

Oh well, I only need about 3 good pics, which I can probably do.

keep at it, you'll get it.. thinking back to my high school... the auditorium totally sucked, do you have a flash (other than the built in one)

Yep, but I have misplaced it. Not that it really would have helped. The auditorium's almost pitch black.

i was a photog for my highschools yearbook and newspaper for the past two years. Just try and get the best shots you can. More than likely they will want you to take it. A tip my old advisor always told (and forced us to do or she would not run the photo) that the subject can not be posed for people. Unless it has a specific purpose.

Wow I'd kill to have the camera equipment I have now and have a ticket to use it anywhere when I was still in high school. While alot of people hate freshmen for fun there is also that freshmen that everyone is like "Omg thats the kid dude, he took a picture of Stacys chest hes the man" lol... yeah god I miss the immature school days XD.

Also if you don't have a 200mm or 300mm lens I suggest trying to raise money at school, tell a few teachers and club leaders.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back