So I dropped my camera...

photocass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to the forums so I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right spot or not.

The other day I dropped my Nikon D3000 by mistake. I have attached a photo below so you can see for yourselves.

The question is, is it worth getting fixed? I've had this camera for almost two years now and it was about $500. If it's going to cost me around $200-300 to get fixed i'm probably just going to buy a new one.

Thanks

Attachments

• $IMG_0463.jpg
    $IMG_0463.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 214
Yup, I agree with Mully ... looks like the lens took the hit.
You will probably find that the cost of repairing the lens is not worth it.

The D3000 bundled with the 55-200mm lens is now $449 at Walmart. I hope that gives you an idea. I am sorry for your loss. But if you have another lens try it on the body.

I would just buy a new camera, it looks to me like the perfect time and perfect reason to upgrade your camera to a nice new modern shooting machine.

Was there a UV filter on the lens at the time of the drop?

yes there was! The front of the lens is fine though. Not a scratch on the filter. it's just the back of the lens

Can you get the lens mount off? Do you have another lens to test the camera? I would say the lens is garbage. maybe $25 on fleebay (maybe) The camera may be ok as the lens took all the impact.. If the camera has any damage it is not worth repairing.. Again maybe sell it for parts if you can confirm it doesn't work....

Buy a new camera and send me the broken one, i'll pay for shipping.

If that's the kit lens then your looking at ~$75 for a new one. It doesn't look like the body is damaged... like others have said, take the lens off and try another lens.

Yeah that lens would be close to $500 to repair, based off doing something similar to my kit lens and getting it quoted. I just bought a new one.

Most reactions

Back