MarshallClay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am so ashamed and embarassed that this is my first post here on the forums. (I am a brand new photographer and bought my first DSLR a short while ago). Anyway, late last week I got a brand new polarizing filter for my lens, and drove to a beautiful place to take photos.
First I took some without the polarizing lens, and then I decided it was time to bust out my new baby. (It was a blue water quarry and it was going to be amazing). I pulled the lens out of its protective case and... it slipped out of my hand and landed on the gravel I was standing on. It didn't shatter or hurt the glass, but it slightly bent the threads on it. I stood there just stupidly staring at it on the ground for about 15 seconds, then I picked it up and checked to see the damage. I made sure it wasn't too bad before putting it on my lens (wasn't in the mood to risk cross threading or it getting stuck if it looked too bad).
Good news is that it went on okay, maybe a little snugger than usual...

I'm sorry for the sob story. I guess I was just hoping someone could give me some comfort to encourage me to get out and start shooting again. I feel paranoid that something won't be good enough anymore or that I've tainted my camera lol. I know, I'm ridiculous... I'm a perfectionist when I look at my products and hate to see them damaged.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
- Marshall

I feel for you, but I'll never use filters again.

Welcome to the forum!!!
Don´t feel embarrassed - things like that happen. In the end it will make you care even more for your equipment. It´s better to drop a filter than a camera ;).
If it does screw onto your camera without at one point feeling really hard, but is rather snugger from beginning to the end, it should be fine.
I looooove polarizers. Currently I´m on Santorini, Greece and I couldn´t live without ;)

our-lives-are-in-your-hands-and-you-ve-got-butter-fingers_design.png

Dropping a filter! Hooray for you: you are now initiated in the club! Next up: Dropping a camera and lens combo from more than three feet to solid ground! Wait for it....waiiiiiit for it.... waiiiiiit for it! PLOP!

Dropped my D7000 from 4 ft to concrete floor, neck strap got snagged on something as I was walking past and it was whipped to the ground (luckily no damage)
Had a lens roll into a river - put down to change lenses and rolled down the bank
D600 w/150-600 lens slide off a chair, hit the floor and broke the mount

You'll learn to crouch down to the ground to put filters/lenses on/off to minimize potential drop damage.

Once i asked my wife to help me when I wanted to change filter, I unscrewed it gave to my wife, and as you can imagine it, she took it with fingers on the glass and not the sides. I lost my mind but that was the last time she helped me [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Once i asked my wife to help me when I wanted to change filter, I unscrewed it gave to my wife, and as you can imagine it, she took it with fingers on the glass and not the sides. I lost my mind but that was the last time she helped me [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It's called Windex. Try some. It works.

To add to the list of cameras dropping...
Years ago I had the strap let go when I was out cycling with my SLR, it bounced along the road, and came to a stop just slightly quicker than I did.
I think the hot shoe was the only significant thing that suffered, though it did gain a few scratches in the top plate too.

Dropped the lenscap while climbing mount Shasta. If fell on it side and rolled right down the glacier. It took all my effort to not have made the mistake of trying to reach down to grab it and sending myself down after it.

Lol thanks you guys, I definitely feel a lot better now. I feel silly because I actually let it stop me shooting for a while, but now I'm back in action with my newbie photography. I'm hoping to continue to learn more and more! Hopefully not the hard way like I did in this instance, haha.
Thanks again!

Dropped the lenscap while climbing mount Shasta. If fell on it side and rolled right down the glacier. It took all my effort to not have made the mistake of trying to reach down to grab it and sending myself down after it.

I dropped the lenscap while hiking to a waterfall on the great ocean road in Australia. Just like you it rolled down, but it stopped on a little grass path.
I went down to reach for it, hold on tight on a tree, and i could take it with a stick ^^. The reason I had to hold tight on a tree is because when I was down there, I released I was on the edge of a 10m(30feet) cliff, the patch of grass was hanging over the side o_o (you couldn't see the cliff so well from the place where I dropped it).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back