What's new

So I have 1200 dollars to spend....

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
237
Location
Cincinnati OH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now the leader is a D7000.

Secondary is a D300s.

And lastly the darkhorse candidate the Canon 5D Mk1 for a full frame sensor.

What do you guys think? I mostly do portraits and nature stuff along with some macro.

Is the full frame worth it or should I stick to one of the Nikon APS-C sensor cameras?

Thanks for the help,

Joe
 
Medium format film or bust! Mamiya 645AF
 
Without knowing what your photography interest is , its impossible to help you. Medium format film might be a good choice if your into photography as gallary artwork.

The only general advice i can give is to spend at least 1/3 - 1/2 of your budget on lenses.
 
The d7000. I chose that over the D300s. There are few things that make the D300s better, such as the 51 AF points vs 39, and the 8fps (with grip) as opposed to the 6 with the D7000. And of course that it is a fully magnesium alloy body, whereas the D7000 only has the top plate made out of magnesium alloy. Other than that, the D7000 is a winner. For me, the deal breaker was the much newer technology, better processor, better ISO capabilities, smaller body (so when a grip is added, it's very comfortable to hold), lighter than the D300s, higher megapixels (16.2 as opposed to 12.3), 1080p video, and a significantly better battery life.

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review
 
I'm in the beginning stages. However, in the short time I've been at it I've come to really enjoy photography as a serious hobby.

That is where I am. I also said that most of my stuff is nature, portraits, and macro. I would also like to start on some landscapes.
 
Yeah I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the D7000.
 
What about an older 1D II? Maybe for around USD 750 with 50-75K on the clock.
 
D7000 and dont look back.......
 
I'm in the beginning stages. However, in the short time I've been at it I've come to really enjoy photography as a serious hobby.

That is where I am. I also said that most of my stuff is nature, portraits, and macro. I would also like to start on some landscapes.
I'm totally serious about my recommendation on the Mamiya. Just because it's film doesn't mean it's old, outdated, or obsolete. Quite the opposite:

Portraits: use an 80mm f/2.8, and either Portra 400 or Fuji 400H. Good example of a medium format film portrait photographer: http://josevillablog.com/

Landscapes/Nature/Macro: Galen Rowell, one of the greats, and guess what? 100% film: Galen Rowell - Google Search



And all of those are by and large straight out of camera, from both photographers..




The 6x4.5 is about 3x the size of 35mm or a Full Frame camera, about 6 times the size of the sensor in the D7000. When you scan them in, 25MP is EASY. If you're shooting landscapes on Velvia 50, you can pull out up to 80MP, with more dynamic range than any digital camera made by anyone, and better color to boot.
The proof is in the pudding, here's some that i've shot:

35mm, Portra 400:
6187264117_4d821472d8_z.jpg



Hasselblad 500cxi, Fuji Velvia 50:
5731942048_f3fbcba2e5_z.jpg




Guess how much post production I had to do on these? Almost none, because this is what they look like straight out of the camera. This is what film looks like..
 
I have never regretted getting my D7000, I actually returned a D5100 after using it for 29 days in favor of the D7000. As for film, I've read several posts here saying that it is much more expensive and time consuming to start out with film rather then digital. Trial and error is extremely difficult because you cannot immediately review your shot and recompose and it's far more costly since every shot taken costs a lot more money with film. Even if you can scan the negatives, you still have to GET negatives and that isn't easy DYF with color film.
 
Depends on sooooo many factors. Do you have any gear at the moment? if so, sticking with the same system might be more sensible. Is the $1200 your budget for just a body or is that to include some lenses? All 3 you mention are great cameras, and FF may well be useful to you.
 
I completely understand where you're coming from. Medium format film will provide outstanding image quality.

Film is not something I'm interested in at this point. I'd like to be proficiently good with regular DSLR first and then maybe I'll look at film.

I was giving you a hard time b/c out of the cameras I chose you not only didn't pick one of them but picked one that is way out of left field (from what I was considering).
 
Love the field of tulips btw....great sky.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom