So Im going to the NYKnicks homeopener on Saturday but...

pantherlax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a highschool student taking a Photography I class...and i really like photography so far and am getting into it...
I asked my teacher if i can take a camera out and take pictures at the Knicks game, but I've got some problems and questions.

We've learned about F-stops and apertures and light and stuff but i am still confused about lighting, although i have a light meter on the camera..

1) I'm guessing that I will not be in the brightest atmosphere, but I want to use a high shutter time, of 2000 or 1500...and i probably need an aperture with a long depth of field cause we're gonna be sitting in the upperdeck somewhere...What f-stop do i use? Do i have to sacrifice shutter speed to be able to allow enough light in? I want to be able to freeze the players motions in my photos but still allow enough light in...

Im sure some people have been to a basketball game before and can tell me also by experience.

2)Well, I seem to have a greater problem...my light meter on the camera seems to be broken. Even if i change my fstop or shutterspeed the meter will not move but the bars stay at the bottom, at 'not enough light'. Is there some button that i have to press to fix it or is my camera broken and i cant do anything about it but return it to my teacher?

Thanks for reading my long post lol...

hi pantherlax,

Your post caught my attention, because my wife and I will be at the game too! It's our first time at a basketball game (we've moved to NY from Europe) and I checked out the Knicks website and it says: 'no cameras allowed in the building'. That is not true?

(sorry I want to help you out on the photo questions, but I am also new to photography).

pascal

That is typical for most sporting events...no cameras allowed. A lot of people probably have their point & shoot digital...but that's not what they are concerned about. If you bring out an SLR...they will probably notice it and then you may be in trouble.

Back to your questions about light. You are right to assume that the light in the building will not be all that great. Using a high shutter speed will help you freeze the action...that's correct...however, the faster the shutter speed...the less light you are letting in. To compensate for less light...you can open the aperture...but only until you get to the lens's maximum aperture. What you would probably find...is that even with the largest aperture...there is still not enough light to get really fast shutter speeds. The only thing you can do then...is to use a high ISO (film or digital setting)...but that comes at the price of grainy film or digital noise.

Stopping down the aperture will give you more DOF...that's correct...but you don't need a deep DOF just because you are far away. The DOF is measured from the point of focus...and unless you have a really long lens...you will probably be at infinity focus anyway...so that won't be an issue. Remember though, that the light levels won't allow you to use a smaller aperture....there is a trade off that you always have to make. You can use the aperture you want...to get the DOF that you want...but a deeper DOF will mean a slower shutter speed. A slower shutter speed won't freeze action...and will cause blurriness if you are holding the camera. That is why...when you want lots of DOF (landscape) you should always use a tripod...to that a long shutter won't matter.

And? Did you like the game? Did you take some good pictures? It was my first time at an American basketball game, and I loved it. Oh, and all that stuff about camera's not being allowed inside the building.... Everybody was walking around with SLR's... (except for me, luckily I brought my phone camera, so I have blurry proof that I was there).

Pantherlax, let's see your pictures!

pascal

Sorry for the long wait, im new here and it takes a little time for me to get into the habit of checking forums often...

Well i also unfotunately fell to the illfate of checking the site...so i also did not bring my school camera...
But I did bring my parents old digital...and when they asked what it was they were like, oh ok.

Our seats were way high up in the rafters but still had a good view from behind the hoop.

If you want i can post the digi pics.
And Big Mike thanks for your lengthy response you did a better job explaining then my teacher haha.

And also, what does SLR stand for? (yea i know, what a rookie)

Ok...well i hope you dont have your hopes up because well...im sure the pictures will explain that lol...

Ok actually i dont know how to post the pictures and its really nothing at all...If you really care i could after i find out how

Most reactions

Back