sd card for D50

dl000062

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have purchased a Nikon D50 and it comes with a standard 2GB sd card. Should I upgrade to a high speed sd card in order to be able to take rapid successive pictures or will the standard card allow me do this.

The camera's buffer will allow you to take rapid successive photos...the speed of the card and the camera's firmware will determine just how fast the buffer will clear...and allow you to continue shooting at a high rate.

Faster cards are nice...but not always worth the extra money.

I find that slower cards can take longer to bring up the images when you are reviewing them on the LCD...but only by a second or less.

Try the card you have...see how long you can shoot before the buffer is too full to keep shooting.

I was wondering too about those high speed cards. Not really sure what they are suppose to do different. Hummmm.

I can't tell the difference on my D50 but I've never worked at trying to tell a difference. The D50 is pretty slow for continuous shooting anyway. I wouldn't recommend buying faster cards.

I have a non high speed card in my D50 and i have no problems it's not that slow so as Big Mike said save some coin for yourself.

The buffer in my 20D is pretty good...so I've never had a problem while shooting...granted, I don't shoot sports.

Like I said, I did find that the slower cards are slower when you want to bring up the image and/or histogram on the screen. The initial review was OK...but if you shoot a bunch of shots and then want to quickly review them...the slower cards are noticeably slower. I might not have even noticed at all....but when I replace a fast card with a slower card...I found it quite annoying.

For $20-$30 more...I will opt for the faster card. I usually wait for sales and rebates and just get whatever is on sale anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back