so then

I've got to get a changing bag now to? :shock: ;)

I'm going to try it in the dark first go. I'm a stubborn idiot. I'll let you know that you were right later. :mrgreen:

ferny said:
It may sound big headed, but... I'm pretty good with my fingers in the dark. I just seem to have a knack for fiddly jobs. I remember Mindy getting grumpy when my first emulsion lift came out ok. :mrgreen:

I wasn't grumpy, I was jealous!!

ferny said:

I'm going to try it in the dark first go. I'm a stubborn idiot. I'll let you know that you were right later. :mrgreen:

If you have a closet or some space where it is totally TOTALLY dark, then you could use that and not need a changing bag.

ferny said:

I won't say "I told you so", muffin...I'm not petty that way. :mrgreen:

Basic rule of thumb: if you can't see your hand right in front of your face, you're fine. If your eyes grow accustomed to the dark and you can see objects or lines of light coming in, you're taking a chance. Good luck, and happy rolling!!!

I use SS reels too, but I have my own.Its hopeless to use the ones at school.
ksmattfish's advice about closing your eyes to roll is what my teacher always said, it is easier if u have them closed.
Have much to practice yet, my teacher can use the ones at school lightining fast and he doesnt loose a pic either :S

ferny said:
When you load the reels, why does it have to be in complete darkness? When you load the camera you have to pull out some film, why can't you just pull out that bit, load up the reel and get it started and then switch the light off and carry on? There's probably a really good reason.

The normal way to load a developing reel is to pop the end off of the casette, remove all the film, trim the leader, and wind or rachet it onto the dev reel. I've never known anyone to run it directly from the cassette onto the dev reel, but maybe you can do it.

Why is it normal to do it that way?
There's probably a really simple answer for this to, but having not tried it....
:)

I think probably just because of the risk of scratching the film, running it through the cassette again? You could probably try it that way, but you'd have to be careful how much you pulled out, so you don't ruin your first few frames.

oriecat said:
I think probably just because of the risk of scratching the film, running it through the cassette again? You could probably try it that way, but you'd have to be careful how much you pulled out, so you don't ruin your first few frames.
Orie's right; you cannot trust those cassettes not to scratch your film - and I mean, the possibility of 2 or 3 long, thin lines from start to finish. Bye-bye, film.

I agree with what you're thinking, Ferny, and I wondered aloud the same things when I first started. It's a simple enough process, but I'd agree it probably *could* have been made simpler, especially if you could trust the ends of the film canisters. But - ya can't.

That strikes me as odd to. The cassettes I use go straight back into their pot after being shot. The only reason I can see for it scratching is if a bit of grit gets on the felt, which I really doubt would happen. It it was going to scratch the film, I would expect it to do it when it's in the camera and being pulled at speed.

Of course, I am new to this. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back