So, we demo'd 6Ds over the last week, and ugh, what was Canon thinking

...I like how the ISO button has a dimple in it for easy adjustment while your eye is in the viewfinder. I like that a lot.
There's also a customization that lets you program the set button so you can change ISO by simultaneously pressing set and turning the wheel. That's super convenient because you can see the readings on the LCD while you change the ISO that way (vs. the ISO button on the top + turn wheel that not only needs two steps but also hides the readings).

I know you don't think much of the 6D, but it is features like this ability to customize, stuff like micro-focus on lenses both on wide and tele ends, etc. that have people scratching their heads on who Canon is targeting with the 6D. I doubt you can dismiss it as just an inferior 5D3 targeted at the prosumers/enthusiasts. The lines are blurring anyway.

So, the 6D costs $1,400 LESS than the 5D-III, and somehow, it's not an inferior camera, and somehow it's NOT targeted at prosumers and enthusiasts?

Are you saying that Canon's $3,500 body is equal to their $2,099 body? Or that Canon's $3,500 body is targeted at the same people who can only afford, or want, a $2099 body?

And, Canon has finally figured out how to make the equivalent of Nikon's "FUNC" button? You know, the button that Nikon premiered back in the 2005 era??? You know, where there is a button the user can press and hold, and then click the thumb wheel, and with ONE click, change a critical function, that he or she has assigned directly TO THAT BUTTON??? Like ISO shift. Or high-speed crop. Or 8x10 aspect ratio capture. Or AUTO Bracketing. OR And so on.

Derrel said:
So, the 6D costs $1,400 LESS than the 5D-III, and somehow, it's not an inferior camera, and somehow it's NOT targeted at prosumers and enthusiasts?

Are you saying that Canon's $3,500 body is equal to their $2,099 body? Or that Canon's $3,500 body is targeted at the same people who can only afford, or want, a $2099 body?

And, Canon has finally figured out how to make the equivalent of Nikon's "FUNC" button? You know, the button that Nikon premiered back in the 2005 era??? You know, where there is a button the user can press and hold, and then click the thumb wheel, and with ONE click, change a critical function, that he or she has assigned directly TO THAT BUTTON??? Like ISO shift. Or high-speed crop. Or 8x10 aspect ratio capture. Or AUTO Bracketing. OR And so on.

I can buy a legitimate 5DIII for $2800 on Ebay, new.

But anyways, as a camera with "professional" features, it is inferior. As an image making device it's not, thankfully.

No, I'm saying 6D actually beats 5D3 in material ways like high ISO performance, and that's surprising. Wouldn't you agree that getting a clean image with quick focus in real low light would be important to at least some pros? Given the low weight, excellent high ISO behavior, GPS, etc. I'd say Canon is targeting this also at pro travel and landscape photographers. And I wasn't talking Canon vs. Nikon at all. 6D has many more customizations too BTW, not just what I mentioned.

Also, to the OP: you might want to check out this 6D vs. 5D2 comparison video as you make your decision on whether or not to move to 6D.

Last edited:
Thanks for the user review of the camera. Looks like I'll be going MIII.

Hello all, this is my first post, just to give my newbies advice!

When Canon first announced the 6d, it was exactly what I needed to complement my 7d. A smaller FF body, for landscape, travel, street.

But now I'm a bit disappointed, and I don't think I will buy it.

Looking at image quality comparisons, it seems fine, although I don't see much difference with 5d III. Better than 60d and 7d no question, but not at the same level as the d600-d800, to me! So for the price of the 7d and 6d I'd have better performances with the 5dIII?

I'd really like to see a more robust and weather proof body (K5)! and some details add to the cons list: no joystick, only sd cards, no flash, price, etc.

There is a mention of a "light" version, without wifi or GPS, in the manual, any news about that?

sekhar said:
Also, to the OP: you might want to check out this 6D vs. 5D2 comparison video as you make your decision on whether or not to move to 6D.

Thanks, but I've used both the 6D and 5DII. I don't really need to watch a video.

Last edited:
I was mildly excited when I first read about the 6D but after seeing reviews and usage reports here and there, I more or less fell back to my original "next camera upgrade", the 5D/II. For the Way I Shoot, and for the foreseeable future, I don't need a high frame rate or astronomical ISO setting - 95% of my shots are on tripod, in daylight. I rarely use flash, and have no need for video. All I want is a decent full frame body. I don't pixel peep, nor print billboards. I have only 1 EF-S lens, and I can probably get very nearly$600 for it when the time comes, making a new 5D/II body come in a scootch under 1 grand. ($1529 on Amazon at the moment) I can't see spending the $2100 (ok, $1600..) for the 6D when it has no real obvious advantage for me. It seems the 6D is an upgrade only from the 5D Mark 1...So as long as Canon continues to make the 5D/II, I don't see what the 6D gets you. NOW, if they stopped making the 5D/II, that's a different story....

Last edited:
Seems like instead of having hit a home run, Canon hit a bloop single with the 6D...

Last edited:
I still don't understand what's so wrong with the camera that it's a giant flop....

From what I can tell it's a perfectly capable camera even though it doesn't take the picture for you.

And for every feature that's missing, there's a new and improved version of it in the 5DIII. Oh, it's too expensive....Well, I don't really know what to tell you. Sorry?

Maybe it's just because I've been content with inferior equipment for years...

I still don't understand what's so wrong with the camera that it's a giant flop....

Maybe it's just because I've been content with inferior equipment for years...

Satisfaction with a specific product is based partly on prior products, and the features those products had, or lacked. MANY APS-C cameras are very feature-rich, since the sensor costs are so,so low. On full-frame d-slrs, the sensor is a substantially larger part of the total manufacturing cost, and let's face it--the $2,000 price point is $1,400 lower than Canon's previously lowest-cost FF bodies have premiered at. "Something's gotta give." To a user like fjrabon who is used to the Canon 7D, the simplified feature set of the 6D is actually...kind of a step down...

The simplified AF system with just one single cross-type AF sensor, no built-in flash, no built-in flash commander, and low sync speed...all of those things place the 6D body in the "simplified" class. The sensor performance seems good, but there have been features removed...the 60D and 7D both have much,much greater capabilities, spec- and feature-wise. My biggest concern was fjrabon's tale of dismal autofocusing performance!!!

Derrel said:
Satisfaction with a specific product is based partly on prior products, and the features those products had, or lacked. MANY APS-C cameras are very feature-rich, since the sensor costs are so,so low. On full-frame d-slrs, the sensor is a substantially larger part of the total manufacturing cost, and let's face it--the $2,000 price point is $1,400 lower than Canon's previously lowest-cost FF bodies have premiered at. "Something's gotta give." To a user like fjrabon who is used to the Canon 7D, the simplified feature set of the 6D is actually...kind of a step down...

The simplified AF system with just one single cross-type AF sensor, no built-in flash, no built-in flash commander, and low sync speed...all of those things place the 6D body in the "simplified" class. The sensor performance seems good, but there have been features removed...the 60D and 7D both have much,much greater capabilities, spec- and feature-wise.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the 60D but with the 7D disregarding the sensor yes there are more features. In my eyes, the 60D is like the lazy cousin to the 7D. It works decently most of the time but then put it I a difficult situation and it kind of just gives up. Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back