So what happens if you use EF glass on a APS-C CMOS Sensor AKA 60D

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Before someone gets the idea to poke fun at me for my lack of photography know how. Keep in mind this is a beginners photography forum.

Im currently shooting with a Cropped sensor 50D. The lens mount fits both EF & EF-S and I have a new 60D still in the box. B&H says my 50/60D are Canon EF Mount Compatible with Canon EF lenses - including EF-S lenses. The 50 & 60D can use both EF and or EF-S. Three of my new lenses are EF.

DID I SCREW UP BY BUYING EF GLASS FOR A CROP SENSOR CAMERA?

I thought it was the smart thing to do. That wayu if I end up upgrading to a 5DMII at a later date Ill have the correct glass. I was also led to believe it was the opposite. You cant use EF-S on a FF But you can use EF on a cropped frame. Was this a screw up?

No, you did not screw up. Canon EF lenses are the MAJORITY of the Canon lens lineup. There is no reason to worry. And yes, if you later want to go to a full-frame or 1.3x Canon camera, the EF lenses will be just what you want to have. Many of the Canon lenses that a guy might want to own are EF models, with no corresponding EF-S model in the lineup, so please, do not sweat this issue....it's a non-issue! Enjoy the new camera and the lenses you have!

Nothing to worry about. EF lenses are compatible with ALL EOS cameras....film, digital sensors of various sizes.

If you think about how a lens works, it projects an image (the image circle) back into the camera. EF lenses project an image circle big enough to cover a frame of 35mm film (or a full frame digital).

In a camera like the 50D, 60D etc, the lens still projects the same image circle (how could it not?), but the difference is that the camera's sensor is just smaller, thus it only records the middle portion of the image circle. The rest is lost...cropped. Hence, we have the 'crop factor'.

This is actually a good thing, because most lenses have better image quality in the centre, than they do at the corners. So when you use an EF lens on a crop sensor camera, you crop off the worst parts and use only the sweet goodness in the middle.

Man, you shoulda really done your research a bit better before you dropped all that cash! But luckily, no you didn't screw up. EF Lenses work on any canon digital or EOS film SLR body. EF-S lenses fit crop-sensor bodies only so yes if you do upgrade to a 5D anything EF-S will be useless.
The thing is though, even though the EF mount lenses will work fine, they are not always the best tool for the job as their focal length ranges are more designed to be used with full-frame cameras. So for instance, your 24-70 is an ideal 'normal zoom' on a full-frame, but on a crop body the field of view at the 24mm end is no so wide and could be constricting, whereas the EF-s 17-55 (or cheaper tamron or sigma equivalents) has about the field of view on a 1.6x body as the 24-70 on full frame. So it's not really better or worse, just kinda more appropriate I guess, though it depends on your specific needs.

There's nothing wrong with using an EF lens on a crop sensor. A lens takes what it sees in its field of view and transmits that to a spot on your image plane. An EF lens creates a spot sized for a full-frame sensor, so the only drawback to using it on a crop sensor body is that the sensor is not large enough to catch all the image being transmitted to it...you're essentially doing an in-camera crop. Conversely, an EF-S lens only creates a spot sized for the smaller sensor, so if you tried to use it with a full-frame sensor you would be left with dark pixels.

I'm going the same route as you, buying EF glass for my current crop sensor body. To me the benefits of staying with EF-S lenses (cost, size/weight) don't outweigh the benefit of future-proofing my purchase. As long as what you care about is how your lens performs on your body you'll be fine.

Man, you shoulda really done your research a bit better before you dropped all that cash! But luckily, no you didn't screw up. EF Lenses work on any canon digital or EOS film SLR body. EF-S lenses fit crop-sensor bodies only so yes if you do upgrade to a 5D anything EF-S will be useless.
The thing is though, even though the EF mount lenses will work fine, they are not always the best tool for the job as their focal length ranges are more designed to be used with full-frame cameras. So for instance, your 24-70 is an ideal 'normal zoom' on a full-frame, but on a crop body the field of view at the 24mm end is no so wide and could be constricting, whereas the EF-s 17-55 (or cheaper tamron or sigma equivalents) has about the field of view on a 1.6x body as the 24-70 on full frame. So it's not really better or worse, just kinda more appropriate I guess, though it depends on your specific needs.

And he is going to shoot weddings, that should be fun

Fun? ? ? ? Although Im more known for a videographer then a photographer. Given my experience in the industry. I probably would have more fun and feel more comfortable and at home shooting a wedding then you. Not trying to be cocky or arrogant, but you would probably also be seriosusly impressed with my creativity and poses as well. A wedding is my natural envirement.

I was raised to do weddings.

Thanks everyone/ Finally some good news in a thread. LOL!

What is up with all of these discussions about cropped and full frame sensors??? OP, you talk like that then you better back it up. Post the pics here when you are done :).

Fun? ? ? ? Although Im more known for a videographer then a photographer. Given my experience in the industry. I probably would have more fun and feel more comfortable and at home shooting a wedding then you. Not trying to be cocky or arrogant, but you would probably also be seriosusly impressed with my creativity and poses as well. A wedding is my natural envirement.

I'm going to pull this out, because whilst I understand the angle and meaning, I feel that the working is giving a bit of a false interpretation of the facts. In short the concept of EF lenses being "wrong" on crop sensor bodies only applies to a photographer with prior experience of using a fullframe 35mm sensor/film. To them the angles can appear wrong because the angle of view has changed. The specific properties of the lenses haven't changed one bit, its just that the edges are missing. For many used to a 24-70mm on fullframe this can make crop sensor feel wrong - but to those with no experience there is, specifically, nothing wrong.

This is important to note as one can't just always slip to a wider focal length on a lens to "simulate" the angle of view on crop sensor as it would be on fullframe - this is more apparent at the wider end of the scale where a wide angle lens, on crop sensor or fullframe, will still exhibit the same distortions upon the subjects when fresh out of the camera. This is one area where you can only get the "proper" result with either software adjusting to remove the distortion (lightroom/DxO) or shift to a larger sensor format so that you can get the larger angle of view (because the sides of the shot are not cropped away) without the distortion inherent with using a wider angle lens

Not trying to be cocky or arrogant, but you would probably also be seriosusly impressed with my creativity and poses as well. A wedding is my natural envirement.

:addpics::addpics::addpics::addpics::addpics::addpics::addpics:

i find this thread really amusing.. RumDaddy Pics or GTFO... you keep stressing that your novice grasp on photography is appropriate for the BEGINNERS forum but for someone who was "Raised to do weddings" you should have a bit more knowledge on the topic...

i find this thread really amusing.. RumDaddy Pics or GTFO... you keep stressing that your novice grasp on photography is appropriate for the BEGINNERS forum but for someone who was "Raised to do weddings" you should have a bit more knowledge on the topic...

Yeah, I have always thought he was kinda a troll, or something.

Most reactions

Back