So what motivated you to want to learn photography ,or become better ?

I always wanted to and never did, because I'm not visually artistic in any other way, so I assumed I would suck at it.

Fast-forward to 2010, I had a quarter-life crisis, bought a camera, and learned photography to distract myself from what was depressing me so much.

Ha.

Super glamorous story, right?

I always wanted to and never did, because I'm not visually artistic in any other way, so I assumed I would suck at it.

Fast-forward to 2010, I had a quarter-life crisis, bought a camera, and learned photography to distract myself from what was depressing me so much.

Ha.

I ain't buying a word of it. I think you did it to pick up guys. :lmao:

Ha.

Man, I'm doing it totally backwards then, because I didn't pick up my first camera until after I was married... :lmao:

I've always liked taking photos. Been doing it since I was a kid (you may not believe me, but I have). My wife was getting sick of me using her DSLR (she's a weeee bit overprotective), so I needed to scratch that itch, so I started shooting film with my OM-1n. Then an Olympus DSLR kinda forced its way into my hands (long story). Cue dramatic increase in photographic interest. Then came the diagnosis of bipolar disorder, and before the next major depressive phase decided to say NOPE and make me lose interest in it (the subject of my next blog post I think), I got medicated, so I'll stick with it. But really, the motivating factor to get into it on my own was my wife getting irritated because I kept stealing her camera.

I hike alot in the summer, and started carrying a point and shoot to capture all the cool flowers, insects, etc that I saw on my hikes. After that I just kinda fell in love with the creative freedom behind taking photos.

Ha.

Man, I'm doing it totally backwards then, because I didn't pick up my first camera until after I was married... :lmao:
Ohhhhhhh Kinky..............Which one is the dominant and which one is the submissive.???:spank::whip:

I was in high school and I realized that I sucked at math, other forms of art, and science (because it involved math), so when I got an assignment in my digital media class about photography, It just kind of stuck.

Plus, when I ruined my high school athletic career. With injuries, I liked having something to do at the track meets besides eating concession stand food.

Parents bought me a dslr for Christmas 2012. I was interested in anything tech-y, so it stuck.

My uncle gave me my first camera when I was 12 - he had a camera shop with his two brothers. I never had enough money to buy film let alone process it.
Fast forward a long time. I met and became friends with a teacher at the local art college and she kindled (if not set ablaze) a love of art I only had a inkling of. That's how I ended up taking a two year full time course in artistic photography, working at the same time and always behind on my projects. Thoroughly enjoyed every (almost) moment of it.

I've always loved art, but I suck at it (like a few others here). My sister is a gifted painter, and I'm jealous, and angry that along with her gift she got zero motivation or ambition. She works at a convenience store and paints wall murals for her friends for free! Argh!

Anyway. Got sidetracked there. I like to think that I have a good critical eye, and I like technology. I also like to apply myself to something so that I become technically proficient at it - photography works well for that, even though I'm just starting out. I think I will always be a technician more than an artist - I can get the mechanics of something, and I understand the rules and why something is beautiful, and I can do my best to capture that beauty based on my practicing and studying - but I will never step over the line into true "artist". It's hard to describe, but it's a big part of why I'm an engineer today. Ha. Photography seems to lend itself to a technician's skill more than other visual arts.

I didn't step over into dslr until last fall, because I couldn't justify "spending the money" when I have two small kids. But those two small kids were also a bit of motivation, because I want beautiful pictures of them. And of our activities (we hike A LOT). They also hamper me, because when I want to get out and really practice, they kinda tie me down. :)

Most reactions

Back