What's new

So when can we expect..

Nikon has been releasing its pro-level d-slr bodies on a four-year time basis. The professional film bodies were spaced eight years apart over multiple decades. With the rolling electricity blackouts, the Sendai, Japan plant where Nikon builds its "professional" equipment is unfortunately located in an area devastated by the tsunami and its after effects...man...I dunno...I think the earthquake and tsunami and the terrible shipping/transportation/supply chain issues, combined with the electricity instability just to run the machines is going to push whatever plans Nikon had back at least six months, maybe longer. When a large manufacturing plant cannot count on having AC current all day long, on-demand,in unlimited amounts, things go to He(( quite quickly.

As most people are aware, the entire photo industry's supply chain seems to be, for lack of better word, "broken". Canon super-telephotos--basically NOT available. Nikon super-teles--basically NOT in stock. Nikon D700 bodies...very limited availability. The Japanese camera makers (meaning Nikon and Canon, excluding Sony) have been keeping supply levels tight, as a way to keep prices up for more than a year now. As far as figuring out when a new Nikon or two will be released, it makes sense to keep an eye on the next 24-megapixel (approximate minimum MP count) imaging chip that SONY releases for sale...
 
A fairly large volume in small print could be compiled with all the key strokes dedicated to this topic on this and nearly every other photo forum, and the answer still does not change. No one knows! They'll come out when they come out, not any sooner. And now, I too just wasted a couple hundred keystrokes on the topic. (More fool me!)

The same thing is happening with good quality japanese telescope optics.
 
Is the Sendai plant the only one they have with major issues? If not I would think lower end/high profit gear would be the priority to get out with upper end dslr's on the back burner.
 
A fairly large volume in small print could be compiled with all the key strokes dedicated to this topic on this and nearly every other photo forum, and the answer still does not change. No one knows! They'll come out when they come out, not any sooner. And now, I too just wasted a couple hundred keystrokes on the topic. (More fool me!)The same thing is happening with good quality japanese telescope optics.
I KNOW no one knows. I didn't post the thread to ask for a day and hour of their release. I asked as an attempt to see what the most experienced and knowledgeable photographers I have access to would assume, after assessing all of the factors brought up. Sorry if the very mentioning of these items offends you in some way.
Is the Sendai plant the only one they have with major issues? If not I would think lower end/high profit gear would be the priority to get out with upper end dslr's on the back burner.
Hence the new 40mm micro Nikkor. It's bound to sell bundles like the 35/1.8.

Mark

EDIT: and even the 50/1.8g.
 
Nikon has moved production of lower quality of lenses last year to China. That is probably where the 40mm is produced...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom