What's new

So, Who loves their D7000?

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
49
Location
Arkansas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering upgrading my D90 to a D7000 if I sell it for a decent price. The main reasons for this would be the increased megapixel, better ISO performance and better weather sealing. Yes, I would like to go FX and ideally get a D700 but I can't justify spending that amount of money right now as this is still simply a money making hobby. Maybe one day when I start doing it more professionally.

So who loves their D7K and why? Why not? Has anyone specifically upgraded from a D90 to a D7K? Just looking for some opinions of those that have had it for a little bit and got to use it. Of course everyone LOVES it when they first get it. How has it worn on you?
 
It doesn't suck.

I say that having upgraded from a D3000, so not in the same boat as you.

The one big issue I have had is lubricant on the sensor. It seems this is common on many DSLRs, but more so on the D7000. The lubricant isn't like dust. It doesn't blow off with the rocket, and smears if dry cleaned. Not sure where it comes from, most think the mirror assembly.

Its not that big of a deal, but results in me wet cleaning the sensor about once a month. It's almost become a non issue.

Other than that, its more camera than I will need for quite a while, and has been tons of fun.
 
Last edited:
Have any high-iso pictures you would care to share? Non-edited of course.
 
So, you didn't keep them because they had poor IQ or because they were just test shots?
 
Both the D7000 and D700 are amazing cameras, I believe it is about $1000 difference in price if you are going from amazon which is usually less expensive then most. With the D700 if you have the money I would lean towards that because you are getting an all around better camera, but you cannon go wrong with the D7000.
 
You can go wrong with the d7000 especially at the price.

I didnt tested it in realy life shooting high iso because i shoot mostly portrait using lighting. I generaly shoot iso100 in studio and oudoor and on location shoot at iso 100 to 800. I use flashes most of the time so i rarely need to shoot past iso 800. When i shoot at iso 800, I try to expose to the right as much as possible so it has less noise if there is any.

this was shot at iso800, natural light. it has some pp done to it but nothing major, no skin smoothing, no noise reduction. no clean up.

5643407305_f1d6979e88_b.jpg





IMO, in this situation, i could have shot this at iso1600 without any difference in picture quality. Inever shot anything above iso800 with my d90

If your not shooting anything like weddings and other things that you will need to bang your camera around, get a d7000 and some nice glass and never look back. there is alot more to this camera than iso performance. it has 2-3 stop more of dynamic range than the d700/d3s(yes) meetering is better, focus system is awesome, body functions, its compact without being too small, the price is affordable.
 
Last edited:
So, you didn't keep them because they had poor IQ or because they were just test shots?


Because they were test shots. I haven't had occasion to take any pics at high ISO for serious. For example....



Test shot. Nothing more. This one was dtraight from the cmaera, and taken at H0.3, which is 1/3 stop higher than ISO 6400. Still... pretty usable quality for an ISO range that is, for all practical purposes, silly.
 
I love my D7000. Not only are the photos superb, but the video is so awesome as well. My D3 has been neglected lately due to my new D7000. Everything on my website lately, excluding the aerials, has been filmed/photographed with the D7000. I'm editing a new spearfishing video and the quality of this video is blowing my mind. I'll post it when I am done.
 
I love mine!

Stepped up from a D5000. The things I like most is the button layout, and extra weight (especially with the grip). I havent had to get to carried away with my ISO speeds, as I shoot in broad daylight. But, for the action I shoot, I havent had the camera let my down once.
 
So far Im happy with my D7000. Getting better pics than I could get with my previous Fuji S5700. Of course, they arent in same league. There is a good book available called D7000 from Snapshots to Great Shots. Its really helpful and easier to read than the user manual. The manual tells how to set your camera. This book tells you when to use those settings.
 
I want one! I want one! I want one!

I can never shoot above iso 800 with my D80. I am thinking this is going to be a whole new glorious world when i can finally afford the D7000!

I off to buy a lottery ticket! :-)
 
I upgraded from a d80 to a d7000 and I'm very satisfied. Hoping one day to go full frame with the rumored d800
 
PM me how much...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom