SO, you just got a new DSLR.

radiorickm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well here is a “top 10” list of things I wish someone would have told me when I started out.

#10 IF you are truly a newbie, this is going to hurt: Your new modern DSLR camera is a heck of a lot smarter than you are at this point. Over a hundred years of knowledge has been programmed into your camera. You need to spend (several) years to gain as much knowledge as it has.

#9 Ferrari’s are great cars; you just don’t see to many farmers hauling hay in them.
Everything has a designed purpose. Your DSLR camera and Kit lens, are CAPABLE of taking great photographs; if they weren’t, they wouldn’t be selling them. Really. Don’t begin your career by believing that you are already limited and need better equipment. Until you begin taking specialized types of photos, your equipment is probably going to do just fine (once YOU learn how to use it to the best of its abilities).

#8 Until YOUR skill level outperforms your equipment, there is no real reason to “upgrade”. Now, if you only have a 18-55mm kit zoom and you decide to add a 55-250mm zoom, that is SUPPLEMENTING your capabilities, not upgrading. Ask your self this: What is it that I am capable of doing, that my equipment is not capable of? Rushing out and buying a $1,500.00 PRO lens is not going to make you a better photographer.

#7 You need to LEARN the rules, to know when it’s ok to BREAK the rules.

#6 You, as a modern day photographer have a wealth of “TOOLS” at your disposal to use; Auto-focus, Auto-exposure, Auto-bracketing, adjustable ISO, Image stabilization, just to name a few. Learn to take advantage of these tools; and just as importantly learn when NOT to.

#5 There is more to photography than the exposure triangle. We get stuck on Aperture/Shutter settings a lot, but there are many things as equally important, such as composition and perspective. First off, take lots of pictures. But also read lots of books, watch you-tube tutorial, do what ever you can to gain knowledge about all aspects of the hobby.

#4 Photography, as is any art, is very subjective. Each and every person has their views about it. You are always going to get the “why didn’t you do this” question. Truth be told, if you get super-critical, you can nit pick anyone’s photos and find faults. But ultimately you have to decide if the photo met YOUR expectation, and if it didn’t, figure out how to make it better next time. Of course, over time your expectations (especially of your own work) will become higher and you will work harder to achieve your goals.

#3 The IQ (Image Quality) is proportional to the amount of time used to create it. If you grab your camera and take a picture, you have a snapshot. If you take your time, set up the shot, compose carefully, follow the rules, then you are going to have a chance of having a photograph as a piece of art.

#2 GO SHOOT SOMETHING. In the days of old (film days) when you shot, you had to wait to get the film developed to see the results. It was in some cases a very time consuming adventure, and could become frustrating. With digital, and the EXIF information, you can see exactly what you did immediately and learn more effectively from your mistakes. PLUS it costs noting to delete a bad picture and try again. So take advantage of this, and have fun shooting lots of pictures.

#1. This is the single most important thing you can learn about photography:
It is the PHOTOGRAPHER that produces great images; not the equipment.

Agreed, well said. Many may have different opinions on #1 though....

My opinion on gear is this: The gear needed for your photography is directly related to your clients needs. If your client has no specific needs than use anything you want to create a product that satisfies your clients needs.

LOL at #1. I just gave some advice on another forum about her impending lawsuit regarding shooting a wedding ceremony with a D90 and a 18-200. It can be done, but it requires a lot more skill to shoot with sub-standard equpment than it does to shoot with the proper equipment. Ideally, a profesional photographer has a combination of both.

LOL at #1. I just gave some advice on another forum about her impending lawsuit regarding shooting a wedding ceremony with a D90 and a 18-200. It can be done, but it requires a lot more skill to shoot with sub-standard equpment than it does to shoot with the proper equipment. Ideally, a profesional photographer has a combination of both.

True enough, but I don't think this thread is aimed at the beginner pro, but at the beginner in photography. Not the same animal at all.

This was my first read on this forum as a newb. Thanks for your advice. It is very helpful for someone like myself who is just beginning to learn how to take good photographs.

#8 Until YOUR skill level outperforms your equipment, there is no real reason to “upgrade”.
This is a very popular saying, but the more I think about it, the less I can get hands and feets to it.

A better camera will simply allow you to make pictures faster, easier, control the parameters better, have more opportunities to make pictures, and last not least of course produce better picture quality. In some cases it might even better automatics, though thats usually rather a question of the competence of the camera producer, than a question of the price tag of the camera.

When is it time to get a better camera ? In retrospect, I wished I had gotten a DSLR when I first started to do photography. I would have used all the auto modes in the beginning, but I would have had a camera to learn stuff for real from the very start. DSLRs, after all, also have AUTO modes to do everything.

For the same reason, if I would get, say, a D800 now, I would probably not make as good pictures with it as other people with the same camera, but I would be able to learn using it.

So what exactly is this "skill level" mentioned there ? Its not THAT hard to understand cameras, really. There is simply no clear criteria given what is supposed to happen to justify me buying another camera.

#2 is still true for many photographers including myself. I actually dont mind waiting on my photos to get back from the lab. In this day and age of instant gratification its nice to be able to wait for something.

Anyway i agree it is a slow process trying new techniques, but hey, im married! Plus i pretty much have my exposure formula the way i like it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back