So You've Plunked Down $1000 for a Lens ... What Shipping Do You Get?

What Shipping Speed?

• Next Day

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • 2 Day

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • 3-5 Day

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Longer (Whatever's Cheapest)

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
A

astrostu

Just curious. I'm about to order a Canon 35 mm f/1.4L lens and I'm trying to decide what kind of shipping to get. After all, you've waited all this time, finally made your decision, finally purchased it ... and now do you pay that extra $15 to get it in 2 days, $5 to get it in 3-5 days, or go default and get it in 5-7 days. You get the idea.

After all, that extra money is a quarter of next week's groceries. Or lunch out. But then again, it's 1% of the overall cost. Decisions decisions!

Usually next day is pretty expensive, so I get 2 day. If there isn't a big difference in price, then I would get the next day. Did I mention that I am really impatient! :)

My thought process is that as long as it took to actually make the critical decision of what to purchase....a few extra days warrants the cheaper shipping charges. Did I mention I'm a tightass and don't get in a hurray...ever. If I absolutely have to have a particular item, I go local.

If I absolutely have to have a particular item, I go local.

I would agree with this, except that going local here means paying a ridiculous amount more. For instance, I am about to purchase the 70-200mm L glass, and local it is $400 more!!!!!!! :???:

I say next day. What is a few extra dollars?

With Amazon.com, I am a Prime customer so I pay only $3.99 and get whatever I buy the next day. I can't remember what I paid to join Prime, but I know that I buy enough stuff to more than make up the difference.

I gave up on local patronage along time ago.

If you get 2 day shipping, there's 3 days less in the time span that someone could damage the goods (I guess...).

It depends where you live too. For example, in hot Arizona I would definitely consider the faster option so the lens doesn't spend too much time in the hot weather. In any case, make sure you insure it.

i almost always go for the fastest shipping option available. when i bought my 50mm f1.8 and my 580EXII, i paid the extra for next day shipping. i figured the money i saved buying it online versus buying it local afforded me the chance to get it shipped faster.

besides, im far too impatient to wait around for something when ive already paid for it. when i ordered my lighting and reflector kits on Ebay, i went with the standard shipping, and then went insane for a week waiting for them to arrive. :lol:

cheapest fed ex shipping. i don't like ups, last time i used them, the box looked like a sandwich.

I guess it would depend on how soon you need it.

Thanks for the reviews on Fedex. I've never had any problems with UPS so far, but it's good to be informed.

2 days .. but then things are different in Europe anyway ..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back