Soccer Photos C&C please

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so this year was my first year shooting soccer. I'm really trying to improve my sports photos right now, and I'm hoping these are a step in the right direction. So go ahead, tear them to shreds. I wanna know what I can do better, and if your eye catches the same things as mine. All photos taken with D80/Sigma 70-200. I'm really starting to feel the limits of my equipment, and can't wait to get a D7k/300 f4 for field sports.

1.)
untitled-21-X2.jpg

2.)
untitled-15-X2.jpg

3.)
untitled-55-X2.jpg
''

4.)
Photo-19-X2.jpg

5.)
Photo-15-X2.jpg

I would crop 4 and 5 tighter, otherwise they all look good. Not much you can do about backgrounds on these fields, mind you, there are alot of pro level fields where the backgrounds look like crap.

I think 1/640 shutter speed should be a minimum. With daylight, bump that ISO to get you 1/1000 shutter speed. In daylight, I don't think you see many blurred balls/heads/hands/feet because you can get your shutter speed down to 1/1000. For night football games, there's not much you can do. But I would work on the shutter speed. The compositions are great!

I think 1/640 shutter speed should be a minimum. With daylight, bump that ISO to get you 1/1000 shutter speed. In daylight, I don't think you see many blurred balls/heads/hands/feet because you can get your shutter speed down to 1/1000. For night football games, there's not much you can do. But I would work on the shutter speed. The compositions are great!

Thanks! The guys game I was pulling quite a fast shutter speed if I remember correctly because it was a sunny day. Somewhere around 1/2000th or so I believe. The girls game was on a dark, overcast gloomy day. I was at iso 400 most of the time and pulling 1/500th or so at f3.2. Like I said, this is where my gear limits me. I hate going above iso 400 with my D80 because it looks like crap.

And I know we always rag on you for your watermark, so I thought I'd give you a plus 1 on that!

And I know we always rag on you for your watermark, so I thought I'd give you a plus 1 on that!

yeah, I'm working on getting to one I like. I'm happy with this one on portrait orientation shots, but I think I need to make a seperate, thinner one for landscape shots. It'll get done eventually lol.

Your exposures are pretty good on these. The action is ok, not peak moments but that's sometimes tough to do at this level with the skills the players have. The real nit to pick here is "bullseyeing" every shot. Either in camera or in processing try to compose them so not all the action is dead center, give the players somewhere to go if they are moving with the ball. If that's not a possibility then get in close for more expressions on the face. To eliminate some of the background distractions shoot from behind the end line at the action coming at you, even with a 200mm it will throw the background at the opposite end of the field OOF.

Tony S said:
Your exposures are pretty good on these. The action is ok, not peak moments but that's sometimes tough to do at this level with the skills the players have. The real nit to pick here is "bullseyeing" every shot. Either in camera or in processing try to compose them so not all the action is dead center, give the players somewhere to go if they are moving with the ball. If that's not a possibility then get in close for more expressions on the face. To eliminate some of the background distractions shoot from behind the end line at the action coming at you, even with a 200mm it will throw the background at the opposite end of the field OOF.

Not aloud to shoot from behind the endline according to the refs.

I so miss doing this....do the kids get to see them yet?

GeorgieGirl said:
I so miss doing this....do the kids get to see them yet?

Yeah, I post them on my site and all the kids love checking them out. If asked I'll even put a low res. on Facebook for their profile pic. Parents have the option to buy prints online also.

I like #4 the best, and I agree with a tighter crop on 4 & 5. I just got my 300MM F4 and hope to give it a workout this weekend.

Bruce

Not aloud to shoot from behind the endline according to the refs.

Check the website for the association that governs rules for your state. Most have them posted online. Beyond the endline is usually not a problem as long as you stay the distance back that is required, most often that is 2-3 yards from the line. Often times refs make up some rules as they go along. If you can, introduce yourself to the refs well before the game and discuss where you can shoot from. Have the state rules handy since you know this could be an issue and "nicley" point out if there is no prohibition against that postion for you to take photographs. If nothing else, at least try to find a compromise on how far behind the end line you can be. It's still one of the best locations for shooting action as it is all coming at you. Good diplomacy is a must when working with the refs, good luck.

Most reactions

Back