Soccer Photos C&C please

I think the pictures are great, especially #5! But then, I'm not a professional; I don't even play one on TV.
As to the shooting behind the end line, Tony S is right, that different leagues and associations have different rules about this. However, as someone who played keeper for over 15 years, and then coached soccer for several more years, I can tell you that, at least in my day, a lot of the youth leagues did not allow ANYONE behind that endline, whether it was in the league rules or not. I can't tell you how many times I'd have parents from the other team try to stand behind the endline and then yell things out at the precise moment they thought it might be most distracting to me, and take my focus on the ball. It never worked, but still...refs would get tired of it, and simply ban everyone from behind the endline.

Not aloud to shoot from behind the endline according to the refs.

Check the website for the association that governs rules for your state. Most have them posted online. Beyond the endline is usually not a problem as long as you stay the distance back that is required, most often that is 2-3 yards from the line. Often times refs make up some rules as they go along. If you can, introduce yourself to the refs well before the game and discuss where you can shoot from. Have the state rules handy since you know this could be an issue and "nicley" point out if there is no prohibition against that postion for you to take photographs. If nothing else, at least try to find a compromise on how far behind the end line you can be. It's still one of the best locations for shooting action as it is all coming at you. Good diplomacy is a must when working with the refs, good luck.

Here's a cropped shot I took from the corner flag while trying out my new 85MM 1.8. Lessons learned, I should have jacked the ISO up from 200 so I could have used F4 or 5.6 rather than F8 to blur the nasty background.

Bruce

wakefield_girls_soccer-1113.jpg by red04wrx, on Flickr

Bruce, that field must be Alot narrower than the one I'm shooting on. I can't get that toght on the goal from the corner flag, and I've got 200mm.

Edit: just saw the cropped part. Oops.

Even that angle won't get me what I want, I'd much rather be behind the end line, right next to the goal so I could shoot them running towards me when they are shooting.

Last edited:
Great shots, thanks for sharing.
In #5 did they actually connect with each other?

On average how many photos do you take during a game? And out if those how many would you say are keepers? I just started shooting my daughter's soccer games and out of 100 photos I'd say only about 5 are keepers. I'm getting good shots, I'm just having trouble getting focused shots. Any tips or is this just the nature of the beast?

On average how many photos do you take during a game? And out if those how many would you say are keepers? I just started shooting my daughter's soccer games and out of 100 photos I'd say only about 5 are keepers. I'm getting good shots, I'm just having trouble getting focused shots. Any tips or is this just the nature of the beast?
Start a new thread with some of your pictures. It could be the shutter speed is too slow. Or it could be your AF mode, which we could give you some assistance on.

dandingo said:

I agree, start a thread with some photos so we can check them out.

Quick answer: in an average soccer game I take 250-400 photos, but I only have 3fps. I imagine that if I had 7 or 8 fps, I would probably have double the amount of photos.

Out of each game I've been putting around 35-40 photos on my website. I'd say probably 50-60% are sharp/in focus, but just not at interesting moments or peak action.

dandingo said:

I agree, start a thread with some photos so we can check them out.

Quick answer: in an average soccer game I take 250-400 photos, but I only have 3fps. I imagine that if I had 7 or 8 fps, I would probably have double the amount of photos.

Out of each game I've been putting around 35-40 photos on my website. I'd say probably 50-60% are sharp/in focus, but just not at interesting moments or peak action.

When shooting with 6fps, i shoot anywhere between 500 and 800 shots, and end up with roughly 40-50 keepers, of that 4 or 5 are really really good (IMO).

#2 on first page - now that's flattering :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back