Social media advice

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Ben F, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Ben F

Ben F TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find managing social media for my photography pretty difficult. Found a decent article on social media strategy, particularly Instagram strategies for photographers.

https://dronephotographybible.com/how-to-promote-your-photography-instagram-in-4-easy-ways/

I would be keen to know if anyone has tried any of the advice it says in there. Has it worked? I don't want to put all my efforts into something for little payoff.

2. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    don't expect much to come from those tips unless you want to be like every other "wants to be" on instagram taking pictures of their spoon with a cell phone.

youd probably end up spending 5-10 hours a day on instagram just to create content on it, and to go about following people and seeing what the daily photo on instagram trends are.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I thought the advice on hashtags was good, specifically about looking for good hashtags that have between 100,000 and 500,000 entries, as opposed to just going for the most popular hashtags.

I do not use Instagram much and have really not considered it to be something I want to pursue, and I do not consider it a form of portfolio or a promotion for my own photography but years ago I did a quick experiment with hashtags, and I found that hashtags gave me 10 to 20 times more likes than photos which were not tagged.

I think the real issue is in the amount of time and effort that it takes to build followers on Instagram. Do you actually think that a high follower count will translate into actual paying clients? Do you think that the time and effort spent on developing an Instagram follower base is time and effort well spent? I really do not know the answer.

Some people are really tuned in to Instagram but I do not believe it is actually as good as direct marketing, but to certain people I do think that one's Instagram presents a certain level of being established, and of being creative and capable with a camera. Among older readers of this forum there is a tendency to downplay the importance of Instagram, and I think that is largely generational. I am 56 now and I grew up before the era of the cell phone and social media but there are lots of people who spend loads and loads of time on social media, and their opinions and evaluations of a photographer's Instagram might very well be greatly different from mine.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  4. BitGid

BitGid TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My clients are rarely active on any platform except Facebook. I maintain an Instagram account because I enjoy using it and am kind of expected to as a photographer, but the only place I "promote" myself in any meaningful way is through my webpage and personal Facebook account, which is all mixed up with personal Facebook updates as well. Nearly all of my clients are both commercial in nature and also personal Facebook friends.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Instagram is that a new form of 78 no thats I pod I know it’s the digital version of the telegram

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Who here remembers the importance of placing a Yellow Pages ad for one's photography business????????????

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

ANother pleasant memory. Goes side by side with the dodgy looking shifty acting "photographers" the school would hire to do the schools photo day.