Softbox Recommendation

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I recently purchased a lightly used Alien Bee 800. It did not come with a softbox, and I have been looking at ebay to find one for my light because they come about $50-$75 cheaper than the Alien Bee brand softboxes. What do you think? If I really have to save up for them I will, however, I would like to get one sooner than later.

Thanks for your help.

Check out the E-bay store for OCE Camera Accessories. I can't vouch for them personally, but I have read several good reviews.

It's not top level stuff, but they say it's no worse than the stuff you get from Paul Buff (Alien Bee) and the prices are pretty good.

Just make sure that if you order something, get it with the Alien Bee speedring, so that it will fit onto your light.

The Paul C Buff softboxes are very easy to setup... just unfold and velcro the diffuser in place, and they are of quite good construction.

The cheap softboxes typically available on eBay will give you comparable results in your photographs, but they need to be completely assembled and disassembled for transport, and the general build quality is sometimes questionable, with a strong potential for light leaks around the back of the softbox where it mates the strobe...

If you are in studio all the time and don't do location shoots, the eBay alternatives are fine.... but if you move around and are hard on your gear and need to setup and strike your equipment for location shoots, then invest in (at least) the Paul C Buff softboxes....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back