What's new

Softly In The Sunlight

smoke665

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 29, 2016
Messages
17,050
Reaction score
10,444
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had a few mins today to play with a lens that I don't use as much as I'd like because it's full manual, but every time I do I'm blown away by it. I picked up this vintage Pentax Asahi Taumar 135mm f2.5 K mount for $30 in a thrift store, figured it wasn't that much if it was a dud. It's built like a tank, with a silky smooth focus, I really wish my eyes were better, because it is such a joy to use. All shot at f2.5
IMGP4434.webp

IMGP4436.webp

IMGP4437.webp

IMGP4438.webp
 
@zulu42 This lens was produced from 1980 to 1988, so 30# years old and still in great shape. Not sure if it sat in someones closet or what.

@edsland without a split prism, or putting it on a tripod and using the back screen, it's hard for me to catch a sharp focus. I've found I can set the camera to beep when it catches focus, after getting it close, I can rock forward/back to catch it in focus, but that only works when you have a very defined focus point, otherwise it's a crap shoot on what you catch in focus.

@jeffg Thanks man.
 
Last edited:
Beautiful..love the colors and love your pup!
 
Beautiful..love the colors and love your pup!

Thank you! Today was one of those unusual days with bright clear skies and warm setting sun. Beautiful light gave everything a crisp feel. The vintage glass devoid of the more modern coatings seems to thrive on these kind of days.
 
Incredible lens man, the background rendering and sharpness are both incredible.

I’ve been meaning to play with some old manual lenses now that I’ve switched to mirrorless and have focus peaking.. theoretically using a manual focus lens should be a breeze.
 
It sure is great to see a Ronald Reagan Era lens back in action! Yes those older 1980's era lenses had really nice and smooth focusing action .
 
@Destin Thanks man. I miss the split prism in the view finder, made catching sharp focus faster and easier.

@Derrel actually the Model 2, 6 element model (Johnson era) is even better if you can find them. Not only does some of the older glass have that precision feel, but the images they produce seem different, more realistic with a velvety feel.
 
Last edited:
Nice set! It appears to be a nice lens, it's sharp and I like the bokeh it's producing. It's a winner @ $30.
 
Yes, very nice look to all those images.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom