software for making advanced "little planets"

EdwardCharles101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think everyone can make "little planets." Polar coordinates in photoshop can create a basic "little planet."
But I want to make advanced, more extreme little planets. Is there a software for this? Is "Flexify" what I might need? Or is there something newer and better?
Thank you

By "more extreme" I mean where the buildings, etc. in the planet are stretched and curved more than the normal amount that is created by using polar coordinates in Photoshop. A tall building, for example, may stretch and curve far away from the body of the little planet.

That would be a function of properly setting up the image prior to using polar coordinates on it.

Link (do not put a copy of the image here) LINK to one or more image files you can see on the internet that show more specifically what you mean.

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I had to shoot a couple of weddings...

Here is a link from a video by Houston Public Media (television) featuring the Houston artist who makes little planets.

I think it might be best for me to show this because it shows her working on some very interesting looking software. And that is really the information I am looking for. What is the name of this software?? It looks amazing.

Video Photographer Syd Moen Turns Landscapes Into Little Planets - 04-28-2014 Houston Public... Houston Public Media

You can certainly skip the first part and go to the 1:25 mark. It then shows about 30 seconds of her monitor while she is using the software in question.

With this software I'm sure I could make "extreme" little planets.

I know my AutopanoGiga can, but it's a feature that I've never used.

Yeah, the shot of the monitor doesn't look like the typical Polar Coordinates Photoshop use, so I'd be interested to know what she's using there too.

Still, I don't understand what you mean by "extreme" little planets. Compared to "normal" little planets, what would the difference be?

I asked Syd Moen on her Facebook page what she uses, and she replied, "Try ptgui, hugin or autopano. Best of luck!"

Thanks for asking her. By extreme I mean the buildings stick out further from the body of the planet and make more interesting twists and turns.

That "extreme"-ness you describe is simply a function of preparing the image that will go into Polar Coordinates (or any other software).

Most reactions

Back