Solarization!

shortyssk8s22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
AAANNNYYY tips at all??? anyone experienced with it?

come on..... there has to be a trick to it!

i wasted 100 sheets of photopaper this year on black, failed solarization photo's.

thank you

-nick

this is how i did it and i got good results.

its best done with a contrasty print.

first expose the paper like you normally would if your were going to create a non solarized image.

next remove the negative from the negative holder and set your timer to 2 seconds. this way, when you turn on the enlarger it will only emit pure light

then you take your exposed paper and put it in the developer solution for 30 seconds to 1 min.
at this point (here you want to move kinda fast so its good to be all set up before you do this) you removed the paper from the developer squeegee it (not totally necessary) and place it under the enlarger. (best to do this in a tray or something so you dont get the developer that remains on the paper all over the place) you then flash your exposed paper that has partially developed to about 2 seconds of just pure light. Then you place your paper back in the developer and finish developing to the normal time. so if total development time is 2 min, thats 1 min of developing time, flash of light, then another minute.
then proceed as normal.

i hope that helps. thats how i did it and it worked fine

Fightheheathens pretty mcuh explained it, but explained the Sabitier effect and not actual solarization.

Which one was you trying to achieve?

For the sabitier effect, which is a form of solarization I do,
example:
Load negaitve and focus.
Say done test strip and exposure is f/8 @ 12 seconds.
Since i don't want it fully exposed, I hold it back 1 or 1/2 a stop.
So I expose normally at f/8 for 6~8 seconds.

Remove negative from slide

Develop the paper, but not fully as your not stopping/fixing it and it will continue slowly.

Now put back under the enlarger and expose to pure light for 2 stops less. So either put up to f/16 or reduce the time to 2 seconds.

Now develop/stop/fix as normal.

You should have positive shadows and your highlights and some midtones will have reveresed and gone positive.

you can also take a flashlight and cover it with some paper, and flash the paper as it develops in the tray. wait until the shadows have really come up.

depending on the strength of the light the time needs to be tested. however, it shouldn't take 100 sheets of paper to determine the post flash times

Most reactions

Back