ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I want to buy used one of following lenses

Nikon 12-24mm f/4 DX (introduced 2003)
Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm F2.8 DXII (introduced 2012)

they are about the same price when buying used .. Which one would you go with ? I'd like to have one ultrawide lens for landscape for my d7200 .. I don't have such a lens now ..

interesting how 2003 lens (that nikon 12-24) keeps theirs price .. could be still bought new for $1250+ (eg link above) Vs 2012 lens (tokina 11-16)

thanks and regards,

~d

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Neither. I have a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 on my D7200. Great lens. On my D850 I have a Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 Art. Also, a great lens.

No experience with either. Of course a zoom is very flexible but I did just get the Samyang 14mm f 2.8 manual focus and it has been a very good value. Good luck finding someone who knows both of these lenses but if that person exists they may well be on this forum.

No experience with either. Of course a zoom is very flexible but I did just get the Samyang 14mm f 2.8 manual focus and it has been a very good value. Good luck finding someone who knows both of these lenses but if that person exists they may well be on this forum.

hello, thank you for your input ... I dare to say that Tokina 11-16mm is probably one of top 3 wide landscape lens used for DX :) .. the other one is bit more special, I agree

I have some experience with the Nikkor 12-24 back in the day when I had a D3300. It really is a nice lens when used properly, I found out the hard way. It is very good at f/8 to f/11 from 12mm through 24mm. If you shoot below f/8 it can get soft in the corners. Very little distortion. Its weakest area is at 12mm but stopped down to f/8 it cleans up nicely. I'm not sure on the Tokina so I would look at reviews, I would assume it would exhibit similar behavior. It's a pretty good lens for the money. I definitely would not buy a used Sigma or Tokina, more so the Sigma. I have had horrible luck with Sigma, all focus accuracy issues that drove me insane, new and used.

I had the Tokina 11-16 on my D500 and it was a really fun lens. Shooting with an ultra-wide lens takes some getting used to, especially if there are people in the frame, but a great way to create some unique perspectives. At 11mm almost everything is in focus all the time, so autofocus performance isn’t a big deal. Most of my use was in tight indoor spaces, so the extra stop of aperture came in handy for working in low light. The corners tend to be a little soft, at least wide open, but nothing too concerning. I don’t have any experience with the Nikon lens, but I’ve heard good things.

I have a Tokina 11–16 I use on my D 7200 and my D 5300. It’s a great lens for landscape. I particularly like it for interior shots because of the 2.8 F. For the price I don’t think you can go wrong. Just make sure you get the DX II.

I have a Tokina 11–16 I use on my D 7200 and my D 5300. It’s a great lens for landscape. I particularly like it for interior shots because of the 2.8 F. For the price I don’t think you can go wrong. Just make sure you get the DX II.

Hello guys .. thanks for your input ... I did quite a lot of theoretical research before I've asked and indeed, the very most of different sources agree, that tokina 11-16mm DXII are good lenses, let's say one of the best in wide angle category for DX ... I am asking because I've been looking for used lenses of this kind, primarily for this Tokina 11-16mm but I've got attracted by mentioned Nikon 12-24 f/4 DX that I can get for same price ... I was unable to find for these a profile on DXOMARK and also I've learned, that these are still being on market and they keep theirs price - by reason I suppose ... what I'd expect is that 2012 lenses should outperform 2003 lenses so that's why I am asking here ...

it's kinda mystical for me why $1250+ lens (Nikon) are still in stock in 2020 ... New Tokine 11-16mm are new about ~ $680 ... now, and I have to be quick, can get one or other for aproximately $330 so that's why I ask here experts for to help me with my decision ...

Are you planning on nightime shots with stars? if so the f2.8 is clearly an advantage, so I'd go for the Tokina. As you say it's a popular choice and has a very good reputation.

Things are less clear if you think you wouldn't use the wider aperture, in that case I'd go for the one with the least distortion, then the sharpest.

Ultrawides are in a category of their own, as they squish the middle of the frame and exaggerate the edges. They work best with big foregrounds and big skies. So if you are looking for a more general purpose lens, for things like mountains that will have height in the middle of the frame, I'd be inclined to go for something a bit longer than 16mm on the long end.

Reactions: ntz
Hello,

thanks for help ... done .. I bought (second hand ofc, but like new for me) even better option .. successor of Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 II, this one

Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 Review

I am maximally happy with lens .. they seem to work great, ultrasharp and no softness around edges ... this is what matters .. CA, Vignetting and Distortion can be removed in postprocessing ..

only they are heavy and big as hell :p

thanks and regards,

~d

ps. marking solved .. bought tokina 11-20mm, which is successor of Tokina 11-16mm DX II

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back