Some B&W's to Share

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by freixas, Feb 2, 2019.

1. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

At the end of the day you have to be comfortable with your own work. It's OK to do things for different treasons. Of course the viewer comes from their own background and will either like it or not. They don;t know the reason you shot it the way you did. And don't care. The image stands on its own. Also, there's nothing wrong with being playful. When someone started a thread for posting iconic buildings, I posted this of the Flatiron BLdg in NYC. It doesn't matter if no one else gets it or knows what the rat is about. Nice job on your first exhibit. Do you have a link where we can see all the pictures?
    [​IMG]Flatiron District under attack. by Alan Klein, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So you're trolling us. Good to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I know what the rat is about. Pretty sure that’s the IBEW rat “ Scabby”.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know what the rat is about but it made for a heckuva picture! I like the perspective, sort of like King Kong rat v. the Flatiron building.

Back to the photos, the first two seem almost more sepia than B&W, and I particularly like the first one (but I may be somewhat biased because it reminds me a little of a sepia Polaroid I did of tree shadows in the snow - great minds??). I think the second one might have been a bit better with the crow not so close to the edge of the frame. I might think about a crop to the bottom part of the tree so it might bring the bird into the composition more, but it's probably a judgement call.

I like the crates with the geometric patterns, and I think it's a little light. I see what looks like a 'white white' along a couple of interior edges of the crates. I thought at first it might be paint but wondered if it might be sunlight? I've found I often need to adjust for white somewhere else in a photo rather than reflections or highlights. I see almost a 'black black' but it looks like it could be a bit darker. Most of the photo is light or medium tones so it looks like it should be mostly shades of gray.

The last one to me works the least because it's such a wide shot and takes in a lot. The person to the left doesn't add much to the photo as much as being a visual distraction that kept me from noticing the cart to the right and other interesting things in the scene. Being so close to the camera that person makes for a larger dark shape that seems out of balance to the rest of the composition. I've found this type of event takes a good bit of waiting and watching and adjusting vantage points as needed to get people in the composition in a way that works.

That's really cool that you had a solo exhibit, congratulations on that. I've done submissions to juried exhibits and some have gotten accepted and others haven't, but it's a great feeling when I've had one of my prints hanging on a wall somewhere, so a solo exhibit is quite an acknowledgement.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. razashaikh

razashaikh No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

First two are great. But the last two should be more attractive. Last two are a good one but need more clarity as well as some texture.