Some CC on these edits, please

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These two pictures, with two edits each.

Picture 1A, original
2-7-2009barn.jpg

Picture 1B
2-7-2009barnB.jpg

Picture 1C
2-7-2009barnC.jpg

Picture 2A, original
103_2061.jpg

Picture 2B
103_2061B.jpg

Picture 2C
103_2061C.jpg

What do you think? Too much processing? Really bad pictures? I them kept more for editing practice than because I like them, but for me they arent too bad. Both are from last spring, one of our barns and our feild.

On the barn photos, I like 1B. I feel that it could be just a little less saturated though.

On the next set, I like 2C. 2B seems really grainy by the trees, and whatever you did in PP to 2C seemed to lessen the graininess.

Nice work! :thumbsup:

I like 1B, good edit I think. The 2nd edit on photo 1 is just "too much." For the 2nd photo.. it doesn't do anything for me, but 2C is the better of them I think.

On the barn photos, I like 1B. I feel that it could be just a little less saturated though.

On the next set, I like 2C. 2B seems really grainy by the trees, and whatever you did in PP to 2C seemed to lessen the graininess.

Nice work! :thumbsup:

+1 :)

I like 1B, but I am pretty sure the red channel is clipping on the barn. I have a check box that says "avoid color clipping" that I would use in a situation like this. I like the "oldish" feel that this photo has though

2b and 2c are both really noisy and have clipped highlights. You could add some noise reduction and some highlight compression and it would help them out a lot!

hope this helps!

Thank you for the replies. :)

What is "clipping"? What does it mean?

color clipping is when an area of a photo has so much of one color that it gets maxed out... it happens a lot with reds, especially when you boost color saturation.

highlight clipping is when an area of a photo is trying to display something that is too bright to display. for example, if you over-expose a photo and parts of it are white, those areas are "clipped."

shadow clipping is when an area is too dark and does not display any detail. This happens in the dark areas of underexposed photos.

in your second photo, on the edits, there is an area of clouds just to the right of the middle of the photo that is clipped. You can tell because it just appears white and has no detail.

hello Abby. i like the 2nd one (2A). i did some subtle refinement in GIMP.
i don't know whether you use GIMP but i noted my steps, to add into my reply.

103_2061.jpg

levels>gamma input reduced to 0.97

layer>duplicate layer

dodge cloudbase towards horizon (midtones)

apply the layer at 9%

flatten image

clone out vignette, top left corner

smudge tool to blend it in

clone out two, dark objects, foot of frame

layer>duplicate layer

dodge stubble/shadow bottom left corner & bottom right (midtones)

apply the layer at 18.8%

flatten image

hue saturation> yellow +4, blue +2

layer>duplicate layer

dodge treeline (midtones)

apply the layer at 38.6%

flatten image

resave jpeg at 100% quality

Last edited:
Thanks. I never knew the name for that, now I do. "Clipping", eh? :)

Matfoster, I don't use gimp but perhaps I should start. I hear its free? I'm all about free. :) And I like your edit. Thanks for telling me what you did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back