Some Dragon Flies

vStiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've never been good at getting decent dragonfly images. I got a couple last year that were... ok. This summer I discovered that a close to home spot is a literal breeding ground for them. Hundreds on a nice sunny day actually.

After the first day I think I figured it out. I feel confident enough to post them in a wildlife forum 😋 , but I'm A-Ok with any feedback / CC.

Shot with Nikon 70-300mm on a D5600. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• reddragon.jpg
    reddragon.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 21
  • reddragon3.jpg
    reddragon3.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 21
  • bluedragon.jpg
    bluedragon.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 19
  • reddragon(1).jpg
    reddragon(1).jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 19
A very nice set! Getting those suckers in focus is a challenge, because they rarely stay still long enough. If you can identify a location that they frequently land on, then you can pre-focus for the shot, but you have to sit and wait. Of do like me and find a deceased one... :D

Nice set, sounds like a nice place for a lot of shots. If they keep coming out oof I would seriously start investigating as to why they are.

Nice, I think I like the composition in #1 the best.

A very nice set! Getting those suckers in focus is a challenge, because they rarely stay still long enough. If you can identify a location that they frequently land on, then you can pre-focus for the shot, but you have to sit and wait. Of do like me and find a deceased one... :D
That's basically how I did it. I just parked it right up to the pond and sat still. After a few minutes they were landing quite close and it was definitely an "AH HA" moment.

Nice set, sounds like a nice place for a lot of shots. If they keep coming out oof I would seriously start investigating as to why they are.
Thank you. Oof was never the issue, I was trying to catch them in flight lol. Getting there pre sunrise isn't in the cards most days to get them in the torpid state. Every time I moved towards one, it would bail ; so I didn't know how these guys were getting these shots lol.

Within a hour of the first day there, I clued in they were quite regularly resting in the grasses right next to the water. I had zero idea they landed and rested so often.

Most reactions

Back