Some Family Photos for CC

cherylynne1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, everyone! I posted asking for some advice here: Ethical Dilemma | Photography Forum

It was suggested that I look for some CC so I can get a better idea of where I am. So here goes!

Here are my own thoughts when I look at them:

For #1, I feel like the white balance is off. It seems slightly...brown? I'm not sure what I have to correct to make that go away. I wanted it warm, but it doesn't feel right. Maybe the shadows are too deep? Maybe I should have slowed down the shutter speed to increase the ambient? And of course, it'd be nice to have pretty smiles on all the kids, but with 4-year-old twins and a cranky 2-year-old, you kind of have to take what you can get.

#2...This one is just a hot mess. This is my first family photo shoot. The mom's got a tree hat, which I tried to tone down in post but couldn't get rid of completely. The background is blown, and what's left is just hideously colored. No idea how to fix it.

#3. The biggest problem I see here is the wrinkles in the beanbag. I worry that they're too distracting. But because it's so textured and so wrinkled, I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't think there are enough smooth areas to use something like a patch or clone tool.

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate any help I can get!

1.)
reeds2 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

2.)
DSC07019-final by cherylynne1, on Flickr

3.)
DSC04981 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

C&C per req:

1. The lighting is a bit 'off' here; the highlights are a bit intense, and it looks to me like the light source might have been a bit small. What was your set-up here? The posing concept is good, but it needs refining. Mom and Dad are both leaning, and Mom is partially ovscured by the child's head. The young chap in the middle looks like he's trying to escape; I would have preferred to see him sitting.

2. Holy blown backgrounds Batman!!!! :eek: What happened here? It looks as if no supplemental lighting was used at all! The posing is very good here, 'though the child in the centre has her head cocked (were the triangles intentioanal or accidental), but the background... was there a nuclear test while you were shooting?

3. Highlights look about 2/3 stop too hot here.

I'm not an expert at Whitebalance. Last year (or 2) I took a series of photos of waterfalls and the whites were off. Though I'm much better now. But I've basically come to the conclusion it's better to take a test WB test shot before a shoot to get it right.

So I use a card like this or just a plain 18% grey card as the first/last shot ==> Amazon.com : DGK Color Tools DKK 5" x 7" Set of 2 White Balance and Color Calibration Charts with 12% and 18% Gray - Includes Frame Stand and User Guide : Photographic Light Meter Color Calibration Charts : Camera & Photo

Then in LightRoom you use the dropper to select the 18% grey part and sync all the photos to the correct WB.

The background to that 2nd photo .. yowzer ... weird with the heavy shadows from the family in front.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you, tirediron!

So, overall I'm hearing that it's too bright. I used to have a problem with my screen being too bright, so when I would print everything appeared too dark. Perhaps I overcompensated? Now it sounds like my screen might be too dark.

1) I have a flash on the camera, pointed at the ceiling, a second shooting through a white umbrella camera right, and a white reflector camera left. The umbrella was pretty high, and probably should have been lowered. The boy was sitting, the parents were straight, and everyone was fully visible...for about a tenth of a second. He is trying to escape, as are both of the girls. I later handed them each a wrapped gift to hold with a candy inside and told them if they sat still they could have it, which worked for a couple minutes, but then they unwrapped them anyway.

2. Yeah...that's my bad. I was shooting into the sunset, which looked beautiful in person, but I didn't capture it right. It is all natural light. I should have at least dug out the reflector. I was really nervous, I guess. I was trying to do triangles, and had I taken a step to my right it would have fixed the tree problem and she'd have been more in the middle.

3. It must be my monitor, again. I'll try lowering it and printing both versions.

Thank you again!

Thank you, astronikon! I usually try to do a test shot, but I forgot, of course. And for some reason there don't appear to be any "true" neutrals, everything has a slight tint. I've never run into that problem before.

And the second one...yeah, you're not going to hear any defense from me about it. :) The shadows are because the sunset is behind them. For backlit photos, are there usually no shadows in front? It's actually something I've never considered before.

I appreciate the feedback!

You should probably calibrate your screen, if you're having bad issues.

That said, I'd also say to watch your background. On the first, I dislike that the family is sitting to the right of center of the fireplace. The corner is sticking out of the mother's and daughter's heads. If you were afraid of some of the things in the background standing out too much (the statue to the left of the mother, or the poinsettia/santa thing at father), you can always move those for the picture.

For the second one, I would love the background if it were exposed correctly (and that fence wasn't beside the father).

On the baby, I don't like the crease in the blanket near the top of the baby's head.

ETA: Although, I quite like #3 as is, maybe tone down the highlights per tirediron's suggestion and add a bit of contrast?

There's definitely some highlight issues in your work. It sounds to me from your responses like a bit more work is needed in lighting basics; spend some time reading up on lighting placement, use of modifiers, and such. A very common mistake I see from people who lack lighting experience is using modifiers too small for the job and/or to far away from the subject. In general, bigger is usually better, and closer is too.

Thank you, waday!

Yes, professional screen calibration is something I definitely need to do. And I totally agree with you on backgrounds. I did notice they were slightly off center in all the photos....once I got home. I need to be noticing these things in the moment, and I think that just takes practice.

You're right, tirediron, I definitely struggle with lighting. It just doesn't come naturally to me. I've read every post on both the Strobist and Tangents blogs as well as Joe McNally's book on the topic, but do you know any other good resources? I understand the theories, I really do, but I struggle with application. I need a lot more practice.

like mentioned, the post work could be reworked for the better, but otherwise great captures.

Thank you so much, Braineack. I was getting pretty discouraged. I really appreciate the encouragement!!

Thank you, waday!

Yes, professional screen calibration is something I definitely need to do. And I totally agree with you on backgrounds. I did notice they were slightly off center in all the photos....once I got home. I need to be noticing these things in the moment, and I think that just takes practice.

You're right, tirediron, I definitely struggle with lighting. It just doesn't come naturally to me. I've read every post on both the Strobist and Tangents blogs as well as Joe McNally's book on the topic, but do you know any other good resources? I understand the theories, I really do, but I struggle with application. I need a lot more practice.
Grab the kids' stuffed animals and other inanimate objects and practice your indoor lighting.
You can do it as long as you want and (hopefully) the stuffed animals won't run away in 5 seconds.

....I understand the theories, I really do, but I struggle with application. I need a lot more practice.
That's 99% of it; practice, practice, practice. Use your family, buy a couple of big dolls... whatever works, but you need to spend the time setting up lights and seeing results. There are lots of resources and the ones you mentioned are good ones, you need more 'do' in your diet!

Grab the kids' stuffed animals and other inanimate objects and practice your indoor lighting.
You can do it as long as you want and (hopefully) the stuffed animals won't run away in 5 seconds.
Dude... get outta my head!

I'm doing it wrong:

enhance

Most reactions

Back